walked/limped without crutches, now have pain .

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there. 6 and a half weeks ago I underwent an ankle arthroscopy plus micro-fracture after a climbing accident last year. The surgery was to remove the damaged cartilage and a loose fragment which has been causing constant pain whenever weight baring since the accident. On Wednesday I was told by the surgeon that I can now fully weight bare, but use crutches for support in the meantime. Anyway on Friday, I was in a restaurant with my brother. The salad bar was a short distance away from my table, so I decided to walk to there/limp without crutches. Each step was very painful, I should've stopped instantly. I mean all together I don't even think it was a minute worth of steps. But then as soon as I wake up on Saturday Morning, I have pain which is now just been bothering me constantly. I've had this pain the past 2 weeks dont know if its to do with the issue because its close to where the surgery was done, but it hasnt been bothering me at all. I wake up this morning and suddently its 20 times worse, which I feel when I stretch and rotate my ankle to do the PT, whereas before Friday at the restaurant it wasnt like this at all, I would do the ankle exercises with no pain at all. Even when I've been sitting down since yesterday not moving my ankle I feel the pain.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The thing is the doc told me that I can now full weight bare, but using the crutch in the meantime to for support. But because I'm allowed to fully weight bare I refuse to believe that by walking/limping without the crutch at that restaurant for less than a minute has caused any damage, but I just dont understand this sudden increase in pain now since Saturday morning. I just hope it didn't do any damage. From the conversation I had with the doc at the post op, he said from now on wards I should improve, he said he did all he could do which was remove all the damaged cartilage, and even said I'll be able to return to sports again. But this pain now is scaring me, I just don't know what to do

• Posted

its best to get intouch and get it checked . im no expert my ankle is making my life miserable and im due to get my ankle fused . which scares the life out of me . when you start moving again you can have alot of nerve pain , but if i were you id have it checked to make sure your not causing further damage . good luck on your recovery sam

• Posted

I'd check with the doctor to be sure. It's very possible you were moving your ankle in ways you hadn't for a while and it used all kinds of muscles/ligaments/tendons etc. that hadn't been used much for a while and they are a bit upset at the new ways of being used.

I'm 5 months from ankle ORIF surgery and just started walking recently without a brace and cane some and my pain has been the worst it's ever been for several days afterward. My PT said it's to be expected. When you use assistance, from crutches, a brace or even a cane, you are not using the full range of motion you normally do when you walk nor fully weight bearing too on top of that.

Do followup with the doctor however to be sure.

• Posted

thanks for the response, yeh your right, I'll try and check with the doctor this week. Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

thanks for the response, yeh I'll do that. Best wishes with your surgery and recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.