Walking!

Posted , 15 users are following.

How is it that most of you say walking helps you get rid of the pain?  If I walk for 20-30 mins I have pain which takes ages to clear up - sometimes into the next day, or even the day after (and it has since the PMR started).  Exercise is good for you!  OK, I know that, but what do you do if you get more and more pain by doing it?  

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

in the early stages of my pmr I struggled with walking which had been my main activity. Shorter paces and overwhelming tiredness. Most of my pain was in my arms, just stiffness at tops of legs. After a walk of as little as a km I was "out for the day". The effect of pmr on my arms and legs has been so different it took me a long while to realise they were related. And I guess we are all different.

The pred really didn't resolve the walking. Made it easier but I really couldn't push past a couple of km. At times I wondered if I was capable of getting home - quite an alien thought as I could previously always keep going as long as I had to. I'm used to long distances over steep mountains. Walking up the hill that is our garden took a lot of effort and a long rest.

At that early stage any activity was tiring. I paced myself.

More recently, as the pmr seems to be retreating, I've been able to push past whatever the barrier was. Not describing it well but currently after a good long walk with uphill and effort its nice to feel muscles that have exercised rather than muscles that are stiff with pmr. Its a very different feeling.

As I mentioned above, my arms are where the sharp localised pain is. That's where the first twinges showed and continue to show. If I carry the groceries from the car I know about it afterwards. I guess I'm suggesting that when I walk I'm using muscles least effected by my pmr. For others it seems like their pmr effects may be shared differently between their muscles.

I'm not into exercise for the sake of it. I get bored too easily. I walk to get somewhere or be somewhere. But I am more inclined at this stage to hop on my bike to get to the other side of the field I'm currently camped in as a way of raising my heart rate and breathing a bit. Its a very different feeling and outcome to 15 monts ago.

I was on 12.5mg pred 15 months ago, 3.5mg now. Not quite ready to reduce further, a bit twingy in my arms and hands after overdoing lifting and hammering - very different to walking.

Oh for a blood flow monitor!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.