walking?

Posted , 12 users are following.

After 11 1/2 weeks, I am hoping...no, praying I get this cast off Wed. Everyone around me seems to think that I should be able to walk when this happens. It would be nice if that were true, but I don't think this is going to happen. I know the odds of me being able to just stand alone are slim, but if I say that they tell me that I am just scared. Yes, I am scared. Right now I am scared of everything. I am scared I will never walk again. I am scared I will fall again. I am scared I won't work again. Most of all, I am scared of disappointing my family. They have been taking such good care of me, but I know they are ready to have their lives back. Hell, I want my life back. Thanks for letting me rant.

0 likes, 112 replies

112 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Only you know when you are ready, I have two broken ANKLES, 23 stitches right leg, eleven screw and plate.

Left leg just out of cast and now in a cam boot also, fib and tib in almost same place on other leg.

I am just over seven weeks after op and learning to stand, just managed short walk to ensuite and back using

Small Walker, we all are suffering but our determined minds should not be underestimated, set your self small goals

And don't go too fast until you are ready

• Posted

I am so sorry. I can't even imagine what you are going through. How did you break both ankles?
    • Posted

Hi Lee Lee, sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your questions. I have much difficulty in trying to get around in my head what happened, it hurts me deeply.

I was my grandson s carer for 4 years, until this happened, it was either me or the boy was going to be put into state care. I knew that he was different and had him diagnosed, autism and aspeger and odd.

He turned 13 in Feb, 96 kilo and 5'8" so as big as a man. He went through me and I landed 7 meters away with my legs dangling out the front door and my back and head went bang on the timber floor, thank God the front door was open.

The hospital checked for any damage arising from the landing as one side of my mouth had dropped. That is now much better but still a little noticeable. I was self employed, now? When I was laid up in hospital I did a lot of soul searching and as much as it broke my heart I decided that it's time for his father to start taking responsibility.

The child his father got back was two thousand times better than the child he sent me. My life with the boy was all consuming, all about him, I forgot about me. I also know that if he saw me like this my life could be in danger, he would take advantage. Autistic children are not stupid.

• Posted

Oh Therese, I am so sorry. I understand, my parents adopted a little boy with Autism and I swear he is going to kill them. He is so sweet, but can become very violent. You helped him all you could, but you did the right thing. You are in my prayers.
    • Posted

You did the strong and right thing Therese.  I know it must hurt you so much though! You were very kind and loving to do this in the first place, but now you are going to need to stay strong for both your body and your soul. Hang in there Therese!
    • Posted

Thank you, I pray for a pain free recovery, hasn't happened yet. I can manage the right ankle but the left is giving me hell.

I am using a walker and in the last week managed to finally have a shower without putting my life at risk. Let the physio know how it's done.

It takes a lot of energy to do the basic things and sometimes I get into a real downer. I am greatful that I had some help from friends however as time passes it's becoming less, but everything is appreciated. I hope we all have a speedy recovery.

• Posted

This is the hardest time Therese. I will get easier. How far along are you?
    • Posted

Hi Patti, op on Feb first on right ankle and I can just manage if I keep my foot flat.

Am wearing an ugg boot for support, it's flat and almost same height as cam boot that I am still wearing on left let leg.

My biggest concern is the pain in left ankle broke fib and tib and I took photos of my injury in surgery. They were going to put plate and screws in that ankle also but woke me up during or just prior to doing that leg to get me to sign an amended form to say the reductions worked and they snapped the bones in place. On looking at my x-ray photos on phone I can see a piece of bone broken off the heal area.

Every x-ray they say it's good, but the pain that shoots up from my heal when trying to walk is driving me insane.

Along with everything else. Physio says in my own time and I have come along way, but she can't feel what I feel, and never had a client who did two ankles.

Thanks

• Posted

I can only imagine how difficult it is for you to do basic things, because it. Is hard with one broken ankle.

It is amazing how people disappear. In the beginning, everyone wants to help then slowly it stops.

We are always here for you. Praying you heal quickly.

• Posted

HI Therese- I had some pain on my heel inside my cast for 7 weeks, when I had that on, and I didn't even have a heel break like you did. Often my heel would feel hot in the cast, until I moved it around a bit, and when I was first putting pressure on my foot to walk, after the cast came off, the heel really hurt. It felt very tender at first like it had a blister on it, but it didn't, now it only hurts a little when I walk (after walking a lot on it for 2 weeks). Seems the pressure of walking has helped it. I'm not sure about the shooting pain up the leg though. You may want to ask your doctor about that one. Weird story about the waking you during surgery to sign paperwork (I think that is what you are saying here). Seems really like a strange way to do things to me! It is great though that your x-rays look good...the missing piece of bone must have grown back then, do you think? It's probably super tender there since it is one of the areas that got injured. If it continues to get worse you probably should make an appt with your doctor. 

• Posted

Patti, got an absolute s***load done today.  I'm sure I did more than I was supposed to on the foot but so happy to be able to get around more now.  Did my laundry for the first time (I have my own w/d in the basement) and put the living room back into a living room and not a hospital ward.  Even vacuumed.  So yes, the foot would swell up but I would take a break and then it was fine again.  So now just gonna pour myself a glass of red, and chilll out in front of the boob box!  I'm upbeat again, as you notice!  To all of you posting, it does get better.  Just give it the time it needs....
    • Posted

Hi Patti, I have an appointment on may 6 and will ask questions that I Will write down that needs to be answered,

Yes they woke me up to initial the changes that they made, I remember that but no much more. I suppose they felt they need to cover themselves for whatever legal reasons.

I am in Australia perhaps it's different here as we don't all those separate clinics here that I have been reading on this site,

I try to be positive but because it's a constant pain it's totally wearing me out. Have physio coming to the house weekly and will show her photos and ask her opinion.

How are you doing or feeling?

• Posted

That's great news, enjoy that wine or three, let us know how you feel tomorrow.
    • Posted

Yay!! It's so uplifting to hear about a great day! Sounds like you were able to push it a little without too much pain...that's wonderful!  Don't you find the "up and rest" strategy throughout the day feels the best and let's you get the most done? I've learned that too. It is such a great feeling to clean up too; that alone can make you feel like a new person! You earned the wine...that's for sure!! Enjoy!!
    • Posted

Thanks, Patti.  Yes, you're right.  Just getting around and doing normal things, like cleaning, feels great.  And yes, enjoying my wine, thank you!
    • Posted

Hello Leele

checking in to see how you  are doing?im 6 mos now FWB walking in walker, not unaided walking yet!!  I'm getting forearm crutches to work on my gait. Leg still very unstable and hyperextended but im getting there slowly - I hope this finds you well, best Jannie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.