Walking

Posted , 15 users are following.

Morning hippies and hippies to be!

just a quick question... How is everyone learning to walk again? I'm 5 weeks today and yesterday I managed to walk up and down my stairs without crutches "normal" taking proper steps, a little hard coming up but never the less! But my problem now is how do you shake this blinking penguin walk or should I say waddle? 

It's driving me insane!

happy Tuesday everybody 

linzi x

6 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Good morning Linz,

It does depend on many factors but you need to build up the muscles in your operated hip before you will be able to walk "normally" for more than a few steps.

Exercises I found helped were walking sideways across the kitchen in both directions, start by doing it along the work surface and gradully doing it without putting your hands down.

Next stand sideways to the work surface with operater leg to the outside and hand of good hip on surface to give you support, stand up stright like you have a string pulling your spine up and keep your hips level and still, now lift your unoperated leg forward a step and through to a backward step, do in reps of 10. As you feel more confident progress to fingertips and eventually not holding on.

If you have had long term problems with your hip you will need new shoes/slippers as your old ones will be worn down and not encourage correct posture.

When to walk unaided imagine that same string attached to the top of your head pulling you up, put your shoulders back and put the heal of your foot down first for each step.

When you are tired its difficult so use one stick, correct posture is more importand than rushing to be rid of the stick vs walking properly.

Hope that helps, 5 weeks is early days in the greater scheme of things so take your time and pat yourself on the back for the progress you have made, best wishes, Dot.

• Posted

All good advise from Dot - putting the heel down first and following through with ball of foot really helps and walking tall, string to sky as well

Pelvis has to realign itself after all that pre op dodgy gait. Some days, I just walk off without thinking and then I walk really well.

Early days!

Linda xx

• Posted

Happy Tuesday Linz!

Good for you!  Don't forget heel first then toe, that helped me with the 'waddle'. 

• Posted

4 weeks post op. Can walk around house and up and downstairs without crutches. Even carried my carvery lunch in the pub today without.

However if do too much leg muscles do hurt so I still take one crutch when out walking just to take strain off.

Each day seems to get better. Physio exercises which seemed so hard last week are becoming much easier.

I guess we'll all get the the same place in the end. X

• Posted

Linzi, I am also walking the penguin way that is until I slow right down and do everything in slow motion. Going through the walking motion really slowly has seemed to re-train my brain into walking properly. If I forget I rock like a weeble!

• Posted

You really do have to go slow and think about what you are doing. The brain does have to be re trained from all that pre op dodgy walking it was used to

Linda xx

• Posted

Hi Linzh,

I am at 4 weeks, same as you can do stairs with some difficulty but manage ok. As for walking I am finding the hydrotherapy helps to stretch things out a little. The straighter I am the better the walk. Waddling happens when I'm tired.

Certainly we're all a works in progress 😜

• Posted

Hi Linzi

I'm 5 weeks today as well - happy anniversary!  I'm also finding it hard to walk without the "waddle" but am improving every day.  I believe the reason we waddle is because the muscles are still mending and they have also obviously deteriorated as a result of the OA.  I can walk without the waddle with one stick but take the stick away I still waddle a little.

I'm making sure I do my exercises 3 times a day and will get the exercise bike out after reading the other comments on here.  

I know it's frustrating but it is only 5 weeks - we'll get there!  Oh, and I bought myself a new pair of ASICS sneakers and I don't waddle nearly as much when I wear them as they have a lot more support than normal shoes I would say although my other shoes do have inserts in them.

Goodluck 

xx

• Posted

I see my surgeon next week and then I'll be on my bike! 

Linzi xx

• Posted

Go careful on the bike, I have done cycling in the water this week and it's given me some extra niggles.....🚴🚴
  • Posted

Hi! I am in my 4th week post op and am walking with a cane. I have tried to walk without the cane a bit and have the same waddle. lol. I feel a little pain when I bear all of my weight on my right leg. You are not alone....
  • Posted

Started using my exercise bike a couple of days ago, but not sure how long I should be on it for, as I'm worried I may over do it!

idea

linzi x

• Posted

Hi Linzi -

How does it feel afterwards ? My physical therapist puts me for 10 minutes on bike but mostly because of time limitations - I am sure that you can inrease it with 5 minutes - as long as you are comfortable - 

You are doing great, girl ... keep it up 

warm hug

• Posted

Hi

i jumped in at the depend! I did 20 mins day 1 then 30 mins day 2 now resting for a day, was on the lowest setting and I felt ok! My knee was a little stiff, but my hip was ok! However I was/am a cyclist and in the past think nothing of a 25mile bike ride on either my mountain, hybrid or road bikes! 

Cant wait to get back in one of these! 

Linzi x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.