Walking after 6 weeks bunionectomy

Posted , 85 users are following.

Hi Friends,

For those of you who had only one foot done, I am wondering how you are feeling at 6 weeks. I have been walking for about 10 days in the aircast, as I had the surgery 6 weeks ago yesterday, but my foot is still sore and hurts, and I have severe sciatica in my good leg from sitting around for so long. My wound is raw and red, though no bleeding or oozing, of course.  I thought I woud be much better by now.  Is anyone else at the 6 week point, and in pain?  I'm very dicouraged as I was told I could drive at 7 weeks, tho I am in this boot until after 8 weeks.  Thanks so much.

7 likes, 875 replies

875 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I am at 6 weeks air cast was not suggested l wear my own running shoes. Which r very wide but i walk more on outside of foot which isnt good. Still have swelling which goes down with after i elevate and ice it. Its like learning to walk again. I find support stockings help with the swelling as well
  • Posted

Hello I am just three days out from having a Chevron/Akin double bunionectomy. I had my surgery on January 5th as a same day procedure. Doing both is advised against but I was able to convince my surgeon as I have four teenagers as well as my husband for support. I wanted to do both and get it done and over with! Most important when you get home is elevate and ice on and off. I have kept my feet elevated round the clock since I've been home. Also keep on top of your pain meds the first couple of days at your peak worst. My pain level has been tolerable with the pain meds, the pain is not completely gone but they definitely help. Because I had a double I have to use a walker to get to the bathroom. I was sent home with crutches but at this early stage I find the walker to be more useful. I have walking shoes that I try to put as little weight on my heals, putting most of my weight on my arms while holding onto the walker. Walking at this early stage definitely hurts so I only get up to use the bathroom. I will have my one week post op with my surgeon where she will change the dressing and I will finally be able to see the results. Fingers crossed they look good!

• Posted

Hi

Am at eight weeks now my foot still swells the cut looks good but having one heck of a time learning to walk had my left foot operated on and uf i walk awhile really bugs my right hip area my ankle is still stiff from the shoe after surgery that i wore for 6 weeks not much pain in my toe but bone area is still swollen

Hang in there

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, I read on another forum that you can buy a 'foot leveller' on Amazon (maybe like a thick sandal?), that you wear on the other foot for walking. This wld avoid back problems. All the best x

• Posted

My doctor told me I needed to have a shoe the same level as the boot. A local shoe repair added on sole to shoe to even out. I never fad any problems with hip pain. Never had a limp. 
  • Posted

I had the nerve to get both feet done with the recommendation from my surgeon last week. He stressed that it's best to get both done at the same time. But two weeks prior to that I had a very large bone spur removed from my left elbow. My feet constantly hurt, burn and go numb. I keep them elevated which gives some relief. But I am extremely miserable. I have to keep my meds in me to endure the pain. If I had known I would not have done it. Looking forward to next week to get cast removed. Will keep you all posted on my recovery. In ad shape!

• Posted

I'm 4 wks post surgery. Hang in there! That first week is definitely the worst. Stay ahead of pain by taking your meds. Ice & elevate. Don't try to do too much too soon. It's time to be pampered.

It's easy to feel depreseed. But I can honestly say it's going to be worth it.

I still have alot of swelling when I'm up for more then a few hours. I was put in a cam walker immediately after surgery.

Supposed to get rid of it on the Mar 14.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Linda, i am sorry you were feeling so down. I am 12 and 14 weeks post op and think that feeling low is all part of the process. You have suffered a physical trauma and your mind and body need to come to terms with it! I am here to tell you it will all get better. Some days it seems like a step backwards but now I am walking driving riding my bike and can riseup on my toes. I am still not in a huge range of shoes but have found 2 pairs that are comfortable for the time being. The one thing I have learnt is that there is a spectrum of procedures, swelling, pain and mobility. You can only follow the advice of yr own surgeon when it comes to movement afterwards. Stay strong, accept any help and give yourself treats x
    • Posted

Hi Linda,

I certainly hope you are feeling better & recovering nicely.

I will be 6 weeks post surgery on Mar 17th. Still experiencing alot of swelling but apparently that's normal.My incision site is almost completely healed. I'm supposed to get out of the cam walker on the 20th.

We're all in this together and we'll make it!

Good luck

• Posted

Well it's been 3 weeks and I have one more to go before both cast are removed. The pain is getting better but my feet are so numb from time to time. I hope my feet look marvelous when it's all said and done. Can't wait to walk again without this shoe. The worst part is the unknown of what to expect next. Thanks for the responses so I know that I am not alone.

• Posted

I still have some numbness in my toes,especially my big toe but it's getting better now that I'm cleared to do flexing exercises.

I'm sure being in casts must be very annoying.I went directly into a cam boot so I could walk immediately. Found out quickly that I should limit my walking & elevate.

You'll probably have lots of scaly itchy skin after getting casts off but nothing lotions & TLC won't cure.

You'll be so happy with results. After my bandages came off I almost didn't recognize my slim foot without that bulging bunion. Woohoo!

• Posted

That's good news to look forward to. All I want is to get these cast removed. I feel like I endure anything now. Yeah you are right it's my big toe that is numb. Stitches are starting to become a nuisance. Be glad when all of this is over.

• Posted

Thanks Alice I look forward to Post Op of 12-14 weeks. I want to walk so bad! I look forward to the process to be completely over. If I had it to do all over again I would not have. I would have at least done one foot at a time.
    • Posted

Hi Lisa!! I was just wondering if you have started walking yet? I had my surgery a week ago and have to start moving my toes tomorrow by hand as my foot is still very swollen. But I am very nervous to walk on it in a couple of weeks, so nervous that I may regret getting this surgery. I'm only a senior in high school and love working out and running and would just like a full recovery and a healthy one too!

Korey

• Posted

Alice you give me hope that I will soon be able to walk. I am only a week out of getting my right foot bunion off and 4 screws and I am very nervous to start walking on it in 4 weeks. Is there any advice you could give me? I'm a senior in high school and just have doubts about getting this surgery. Anything you could help me with would be wonderful!!

? Korey

• Posted

Hi Korey,

I was put in a cam walker right after my surgery. I didn't start walking around much until about the 4th day. Always with the boot on. All weight on heel. I am actually typing this from Dr.'s office. Just had x-rays & hoping to be cleared to walk without cam walker!

Don't put any weight on ball of your foot. I was only barefoot from bath to bed or sofa and always heel walking.

You will do fine. I'm a very active person & these past six weeks have driven me crazy. But it's going to be worth it. Don't rush the healing process. Do exactly as you're instructed.

Expect lots of swelling. It's normal. I'm not sure what kind of shoe I will be able to wear for awhile. Maybe clogs or flip flops with good arch supports.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Korey I thought the same way what have I gotten myself into. I got both feet done. Sooo much pain and numbness. I got both cast removed this past Tuesday. My surgeon is up in age. He didn't insert and screws and I'm grateful for that. Scared to walk around because incision is very painful and not great to look at. But I must say my feet look a whole lot better than before. My doctor told me to put on tennis shoes and loafers but the swelling won't allow me to. So I ordered some bunion post op shoes to help me get around for at least another month. Until I get the shoes I am wearing footies. I guess we have to be patient as I too am very active. I was getting in 24,000 steps a day before the surgery to barely 1,000 steps at age 52. Hang in there and let's keep each encouraged. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Lisa you gave very good advice. My skin is so scaly and dry omg. The incisions are not a pretty site. I know the doctor wants me to keep it dry but it is sooo dry. It almost seems like it's stopping the healing process but I could be wrong. I just need to be patient. I almost have to learn to walk again. My big toe on each foot are still swollen. Can't put ice on them because my toes are so sensitive. Do you recommend anything?

• Posted

Hi Linda , I had just written a post when I saw your question. I was scrolling down and lost what I had written so I'm not sure if it posted or not. Yes, the dryness is terrible .You can massage coconut oil on the other parts of your foot but definitely try to keep the incision dry. Try placing an ice pack on top of foot just below your toes. Wrapping or compression stocking may help with swelling.

As I had written I saw my Dr. yesterday and was released. X-rays looked good. He said my foot had healed nicely. Could start massaging with scar cream next week. Don't think scarring is going to be a problem. Did not feel that way 4 wks ago!

Bought Sketchers lace-up shoes. Took a while to find something I could squeeze my foot into. He told me if I put shoes on first thing in a.m. it will help control swelling . And there's plenty! Still using the toe spacer to help keep foot aligned.

I go back in 6 wks.

It's going to take time to learn to walk normally . Trying to roll through to ball of foot instead of heel walking.

I'm to be more aggressive with toe exercises. Bending to the point of pain. He said that breaks down scar tissue.

Still need to try to elevate above heart as often as possible. That's hard for me because I'm very active but I've made it this far.

I know the worst is over now.

I wish you success as you continue to heal.

Will be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

• Posted

Hi Korey,

I was pronounced healed yesterday! . X-rays looked great. I'm to be aggressive with toe exercises. Bending to the point of pain. He said need to break down scar tissue.

Can start massaging with scar cream in a week on incision. Don't think scarring is going to be an issue.

Seems strange to move around without heavy cam walker. Was difficult to find comfy shoes with so much swelling but lace-up Skechers are comfortable. Amazingly having the supportive shoe on helps control swelling.

I'm finding walking is not too difficult. Have to learn to roll through to ball of foot instead of heel walking.

You'll do just fine!

• Posted

Thanks again Lisa. I had the worst doctor ever. When I had my cast removed on week 4 luckily I took some flip flops. He didn't tell me to bring anything nor gave me a script to get some post op shoes. He told me to start wearing tennis shoes and loafers. Was he crazy ain't no way I could put my feet in shoes. So I ordered some post op shoes from Amazon. They are wayyyy to heavy. The scabs are finally falling off happy about that. Just really frustrated. Now I ordered some Nike shower shoes with the adjustable strap across the toes that are hopefully lightweight. Go back to work on Monday and hope I am able. Doctor didn't tell me anything about toe exercises or anything. Very disappointed with him! This is week 6 for me hopefully this week I will see some improvements. Do you recommend getting men's sneakers or women's for support?

• Posted

Hi Linda,

Do what I did & check YouTube for videos on toe exercises after bunionectomy.

My big toe joint is so sore from flexing it back & forth but it's important to do it. Also, I still have some numbness. Feels like my foot's half asleep.

Shoes are so expensive! I hate buying ones that are not my style. But we have to wear something. You could try going up a whole or 1/2 size & maybe a wide width. At this point whatever is comfortable.

I was able to get into a stretchy lace-up. I still have alot of swelling.

I hope you're not getting discouraged.

It gets better. I promise!

• Posted

Hi Lisa, same experience as you with the big buldging bunion. I was so used to seeing that big bulge on my foot that other people’s feet looked odd to me.  Lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.