Walking after a TKR

Posted , 10 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity.

OK...so here's another post since, like I've said before, I keep writing the same stuff over and over again.  This one's about walking...

You all know that they get you out of bed IMMEDIATELY at the hospital to get you walking again.  This makes walking the #1 exercise you can do post-TKR.  Great way to get your life back and start to break down that scar tissue.

So walking is of the most recommended activities but you have to avoid any impact...no running, jogging, etc.  Most docs will suggest an elliptical machine or bike which have zero knee impact.  If on a treadmill, you walk slowly, heel to toe.  On hard concrete, get fitted for a fantastic, cushy pair of walking shoes (treat yourself!).  It's all about keeping pressure and impact off the knee.  A great pair of shoes is essential.

How often you walk is measured in steps...NOT MILES or KMs.  Push the knee too far and it swells..period.  Then it's back to rest, ice, elevate.  The idea is to avoid that completely.  To do that, you need to TRACK YOUR STEPS!!!  

Get a pedometer (Fit Bit, Smart Watch, etc.) and track every step.  Find your "pain point" (swelling baseline)...back off...ice...elevate...increase gradually.  I did 8,200+ steps at 5 weeks and ended up with a hot-air balloon for a knee.  Never did that again.  Slow and steady increases.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles) with zero swelling or pain.

There is no set of guidelines on how many steps you can/should do in a day/week/month.  Everyone is different. You have to find your own limits and proceed from there.  Believe me...your knee will yell at you when you've exceeded your current limit.  So again...it's not miles...it's the steps that matter.  You can walk every day if you like...just watch the steps.  Take a day off here and there when you are tired or are experiencing pain or swelling.  It's all very personal.  Listen to your knee!

Any electronic pedometer will hook to your computer so you can actually see a graph of your progress.  This is not only helpful in planning your recovery but inspirational because you can actually see your improvement right on the screen.

Also, know that this is NOT a linear process.  There will be advances, setbacks and plateaus...be prepared for all of them.  If you have a bad day or two, forget it and get back on track.

Lastly, you will literally have to learn how to walk again...HEEL, TOE.  This is usually done with your PT and takes a few weeks to get your rhythm down again.  Very normal.  Do NOT get down on yourself and become discouraged.  It's all completely normal.  You have a 2 1/2 pound mechanical device implanted in your body...what do you expect?  This takes time and work.  Never give up on yourself...it all comes back to you in time.

I'm writing this at almost 15 months post-op.  Some minor warmth from time to time...feel the pins and needles from the nerves only when I kneel down...zero pain, band feeling or swelling.  Clunking sound?  I think that will last forever.  The biggest problem is strengthening and balance but that's all in another discussion on Post-TKR Exercising.

So get to walking.  Crutches, cane walker at the beginning...no problem...even if it's for just 5 minutes.  You'll be walking normally in time with zero assistance...just give yourself the space to get there with no expectations or mind games.  It all works out.

Stairs?  That's in another post.  Pretty much the last big thing you have to conquer.  For now, just walk until you feel normal again.

10 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks so much for your advice.  You hit it right on the head; everyone is different.
  • Posted

Thats some of the very best information thats been on here, thankyou very much
  • Posted

Great advice chico im going to try and find my husbands fit bit as i want to start walking more than i do now im just so nervous of losing my balance or knee giving way.
    • Posted

The knee won't give way...unless the surgery wasn't done right and it's loose.  Very, very unlikely.  Balance is a HUGE issue.  Do NOT walk on grass!!!!  Every little hole and divot will throw you off.  I had a lot of trouble with this early on.  Stay on level ground...asphalt, cement, level paths, etc.  An unseen gopher hole can be ruinous!!!

• Posted

Hi Chico,you mention that stairs is in another post.

Can you point me in the direction  of that post?

Please.

thanks 

Mike

• Posted

Here ya go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/mastering-post-tkr-stairs-552728

Be careful...you will see a lot of postings from people who were taught the exact OPPOSITE by their PTs so there is some controversy here.  Read the post and the replies...make your choice...

PS: Saw my knee PT last week for a different issue and I asked him to confirm the stair method.  He not only did that but made me go up and down stairs that exact same way for my evaluation.  Yeah...I remembered it correctly...even through my drug-induced haze...  I'm 15 months and I can do stairs two at a time with no railing or bouncing.  Just straight up and down like the op never happened.  Maybe I was just lucky...

• Posted

Cheers Chico,much applause,you the man.

you could run this site on your own,so good.

arrabest.    Mike 

• Posted

At almost 70, I still work in IT as a Process Architect for AT&T corporate...46th year in computers.  And...yes I could...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.