Walking after broken foot and Lisfranc tear

Posted , 2 users are following.

I broke my foot 8 weeks ago, had an operation with a plate fitted and some screws and then cast for 5 weeks then a boot was put on just over a week ago.

My consultant said my boot would need to be on for 6 weeks (partial weight bearing initially)

Anyone got experience of being able to walk without the boot quicker than this?? (I’m able to put more weight on then he said anyway) 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I’m not qualified to answer your question. I can respond by saying I have a boot as well. I had surgery on June 20 and was told I’ll be in the boot for a minimum of 6 weeks. I’m also supposed to only partially bear weight thru the heel of my foot. My foot doesn’t hurt at the surgical site when I beat weight on the heel. I’m only doing as the dr instructed right now to not cause further damage. I’ve read that weight bearing encourages bone growth so that’s very important. 

Much luck to you! Which bones did you break?

• Posted

Hi,

I broke my 3rd and 4th metatarsal bones. How about you?

My urgency is that I go on holiday on 20th August so I wanted it off by then! 

I was only told 25% weight but I’m putting a lot more on than that (more like 90% on while in boot as it’s fine and I don’t even know what 25% feels like anyway!)

I’ve been seeing an injury rehabilitation person who says he thinks he can get me out of a boot by my holiday but that’s also making me nervous as he is telling me to do somethings I don’t think the doctor would! 

Suppose everyone’s bones are different!

I’m still cautious enough to not do anything too much as I don’t want to go backwards.

Does yours still feel bruised a bit in your break sites?x

• Posted

Hello!

Did you have internal fixation surgery or did you break the bones and have them casted to repair? I think it might make a big difference as far as healing goes. I had international fixation surgery (3 plates, 12 screws for broken 2nd, 3rd, & 4th metatarsals). I’m 4 weeks post surgery and am only allowed to put enough weight on my foot to assist in balancing when using crutches. Nothing more. I’m curious to know if you had surgery to repair yours?

Jennifer

• Posted

I basically feel bruised in the site of the breaks and the two areas where the external pins were put in to aid in adjustment. My 3 metatarsal breaks were displaced by 5-6mm each so my foot was completely misshapen. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.