Walking after bunion surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I had a bilateral bunion operation 6weeks ago and I am worried that I am not walking properly. How did others get on? Did anyone need physiotherapy?

Thanks 

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well I guess I did too much too soon. I am nearly 12 weeks post op. Went on holiday on 18th and walked 5 km up/down hill one day and 9,5km over rough terrain another day. Worst was walking in the airport! So having seen consultant Yesterday he said I had inflamed the arthritic high instep. Back to square one. Toes are fine! What the op did for me was to accelerate the secondary condition. I now wait for NHS orthotics and injection. I do hope this works. I had this op before the hammer toe/bunion got bad. Too early to say but at the moment I regret having had op. I am a rambler and was doing 5 miles just comfortably before op (compared to 14 miles a couple of years before). Surgeon said I should think of an alternative hobby. I said walking is my life....
    • Posted

Hi Brenda I am sorry to hear of your foot problems. You must ge feeling fed up! I too love walking and would find it really hard if I was told to find another hobby! I do hope you can get some treatment to help the secondary problem. I know that arthritis can flare up but it t can also die down, so hopefully this will happen to you. Don't give up!
    • Posted

Oh Brenda gutted for you..think of an alternative hobby..like poking podiatriast in the eye!!! Must be so miserable for you. You are doing really well with the distance and different terrain walking too. I just want to cry, am so frustrated and ratty. I am 6 week post op tomorrowyou may recall I had 1 bunion and hammer toe op. Since week 2 I have been encouraged to weght bear flat footed only. I may have hindered my recovery by hobbling aroung indoors without crutches most of the time. Now I have 2 weeks before my K WIRE is removed and I have a sore knee ( I defy anyone to walk flat footed without a straight leg-hence my sore kneesad ) I a using crutches this morning  as it feel like my  hammer toe is really sensitive underneath. I am due back at work in 2 weeks loosing patience. Sorry to hijack your message but I see so many quick recoverys and here I am sad  I'm pleased you manage to have a good holiday by the sound of it Branda. Do you feel more tired than usua after walking? I feel the stress of taking step with trepidation ..Im exhausted. To make matters worse Ive put about 4 lbs on while off work even though I am stcking to my healthy eatng regime and trying to maintang a little exercise with a body blade while sitting.
    • Posted

Hi Nellie, going through this conversation, I think most patients forget that they are undergoing surgery. If you have a broken arm, it takes weeks to heel and possibly 1-2 month before you can use it again. Having surgery on your feet is worse. Your body is on them a lot of the times. You should always be advised to take 6 weeks out of your life. Yes, most patients walk a little but resting especially in the first 2 weeks is a key to a good recovery. Really sorry to hear that you are frustrated, so was I, but got back quickly after that. My operation is 14 years ago and I never looked back. Foot still great and sports no problem. Try to stay positive, I know it is hard, but all should be well at the end.
    • Posted

Thank you for your message Susan! After reading of your recovery and subsequent return to sports I can see light at the end of the tunnel! I am impatient  I had clearly underestmated my recovery not factoring the hammer toe recovery. I am pressured to get back to work, I am a nurse and should know better, but knowing how much 'hammer' my feet get its seems a long way off yet. I guess 6 weeks is early days. Once my k wire is out I now  can work getting back to some sort of normality. If I need to take longer from work and return with better walking It will be safer for me and of course my patients smile 
    • Posted

I am exhausted. It's the monumental situation i am thrusted in. I have put on 7lbs around thighs bottom and tummy! Walking (i was renowned for walking fast naturally) and rarely getting into the car. I retired back to London just over 3 years ago for the public transport. I hate driving. I am a volunteer leader of rambler's walks. I am in a county bowls match this week but find i can't bend properly to bowl and standing makes my foot swell.

Into action now that I have grumbled! I just have to accept the situation and move (ha) forward. The consulrant told me off and i have to RICE. I find ibruprofen a knockout pill! But foot less paunful. Now wait till i go to tge gym tomorrow! I will drive half a mile to gym! Unheard of. Thanks for listening

• Posted

Oh Brenda how frustratng for you. I too am a fast walker its all very well knowing we have had this surgery but I had the 6 week mark( for me today) as back to brisk walking back at work etc. This morning I got out of bed stood gently ( with crutches)- and feel a uncomfortable lump underneath the hammer toe. My foot is stil bandaged ( weekly at GP surgery) until the k wire comes out. I have been moody and so fed up. My poor husband is working long hours and doing the cleaning ,shopping,ironing I do feel gulity. Work are expecting me back 16th May but in reality I can't even walk up my stairs yet! How can I walk around at work,pushing patients and working aroung equiptment in small crowded rooms? I am having the pin out 13th may and hopefully I will find/buy a trainer to fit then I can will be aiming at getting about more. I know everyones recovery  is different .. I think about others who have had awful life changing accidents with mobility issues to contend with for life...I need to get a grip as they say!..Please keep in touch Brenda, let me know of any developments wishing your continued recovery xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.