Walking after bunion surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, everyone! I had bunion surgery back on July 3rd, was non weight bearing for 6 weeks, used a scooter, then I was finally able to walk with the boot around mid-August. I'm out of the boot and my doctor told me to wear tennis shoes or supportive shoes (especially since I'm a teacher). I've been pretty good about wearing tennis shoes most of the time, but I'm still having pain/swelling in the morning and usually have to take 4 Advil before school starts. After that, I'm fine for the rest of the day. I'm also still having some pain/uncomfortable while walking and cannot walk as fast as normal; I feel like I have to limp a little bit. My husband and I have a trip planned to the mountains next weekend and were planning on doing some hiking, but I'm worried I won't be able to. Anyone else have/having these types of issues? Thanks, y'all!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

hi Mattie

I had bunion plus other stuff done March. I was told it could take a long time to heal (18 months for me). I'd say if your still taking painkillers make sure you take them with you when you go hiking.

I would suggest you use walking poles. they reduce the pressure on the feet considerably.

Enjoy.

• Posted

I'd say limit your hiking, to what you can comfortably walk. I am 8 months post op 2 bunions. You need to build up your walking ie. walk some every day. I m in Ireland. Visited the U.S. in April at 2 months post op, expecting to do a lot of walking, sightseeing etc. I was tired sooner than I imagined, from walking around. I had to sit frequently as my feet ached, particularly my toes. Still, I enjoyed our sightseeing trips, just wish I could had walked more than I did. Back home, I was gradually walking further each day, and we did a lot of gardening throughout the summer, redesigning our garden. Today, I am walking at least 3-5 miles a day, back to my previous walking distance.

• Posted

Thank y'all so much! That's great advice 😃

• Posted

How long were you in a cast for? im not that far along in my recovery but the swelling and burning is so terrible.

• Posted

I was only in a splint, no cast. I was in that for about 3 weeks, then had a boot, but was still non weight bearing. The hike yesterday was pretty painful, but I made it. The swelling for me is worst in the morning, so I usually take Advil and it helps for the rest of the day. I don't have the burning anymore, but I remember how excruciating that was. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi

I had 3 different casts. I had more than a bunion done. the first was split. I had that on for two weeks. obviously none weight bearing but it allowed the foot to swell and go back down. So I didn't have a burning or swelling problem.

Just must keep your foot up and iced. as much as possible. swelling very bad for healing.

Kim

• Posted

Oh wow, that's a lot! I never had a cast, just a splint then the boot. I will try to remember to prop it up and see if that helps. Thanks!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.