Walking after knee replacement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am one week post knee replacement. This is my second knee replacement. The first one was done about 4 and a half years ago and I seem to remember that I did not go for walks outside until a couple of weeks after the op as I followed advice from the physiotherapist.

After the second operation last week, the physiotherapist just said walk little and often and seemed to be encouraging me to walk outside as soon as possible using both crutches.

Just wondering what other people did in their early days of recovery. I am doing my exercises regularly which are quite excruciating at the moment.

Love to know what others were doing at this stage of recovery.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Think i would not go outside unless youre with someone , in case youd fall.

Had my knee done about 19 months ago. i

Im doing well wifh exception , if i have to step up onto a higher than normal step or platform like a bus or suv. it feels so weak and lets me down . muscle seems to be so weak. Thought it would be stronger by now

• Posted

I had bilateral knee replacement December of 2018 and was in the rehabilitation centre for 12 days. On day three, my physiotherapist and I went across a major downtown street in Toronto to Starbucks. It was winter, but there was no snow and she came with me. I live north of Toronto and the snow where I live was substantial. I did not go for a walk at home until about the four week period because of the snow. I think that you need to do what is comfortable, safe and not stressful for you. All of us are different, so go at your own pace.

• Posted

Hi, I had my LTKR a year ago and RTKR 19 days ago. With both knees I walked outside 5 days after surgery. Not far, I walked to the end of my road and back, probably a couple of hundred yards each way and increased gradually using lamp posts as markers adding one on each day if it felt ok to do so. I found it helped more than walking round indoors, but I was lucky weather wise as we had/have a mild winter. If you feel comfortable and confident go for it.

I took 2 sticks/canes with me for quite a long time after I stopped using them indoors, because our pavements are uneven and they helped if my leg got tired, although I start out trying nit to out too much, if any, pressure on them for a while, using them more to help balance and maintain an upright position,

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. That is more or less what I have been trying to do. i just started by trying to walk past the first few houses next to us and then gradually trying to increase the distance by one house. Obviously I take both of my crutches with me for support.

I seem to remember that after my first knee operation which was about four years ago I did not go out until after a couple is weeks.

• Posted

That sounds a good plan. Use your crutches as long as you need to. I was advised to use walking aids until I could walk confidently without a limp.

Last year I wasn't offered crutches. This year I was, but still had the walking sticks from last year that I had got used to so continued with them. Strange how it differs.

• Posted

I was told to walk outside but make sure someone was with me from day 3 using 2 crutches but by week 3 i was in one

my only problem is i cannot get up off the floor or even a very low chair without help and im 10 week post op still having pain mostly at night its a hard recovery

• Posted

youre almost there!!! about another 2-3 weeks and youll be able to sleep without pain, always waking you up.

i thought it would never happen. Likemost people claim, it takes at least 3 months to be able to get some decent sleep. Its true!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.