Walking after TKR

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone.

i was walking outside on 2 crutches, fairly easily, holding them very loosely and walking without a limp.  Inside I was using 1 crutch.

last week the physio took one away - tried me on a stick but said I was too wobbly, so left me with one.  I was quite happy and confident when I left him, but over the past week I seem to be limping so much more and relying on the crutch more.

Does anyone have any tips please for walking properly?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Can I ask how many weeks you are ? I'm nearly 6 weeks and been using 2 outside and 1 inside for past week. I'm at physio wed and hoping he'l say just use 1 Linda
  • Posted

Hi Linda, I'm 6 weeks today.  That's exactly what I was doing up till last week and as I said, I was quite happy going on to one but I just seem to have gone backwards since  sad
  • Posted

Walk tall and lift feet up higher like a march - land each foot by the heel and roll though the ankle to toes i.e. exagerrated walk. Walking in a swimming pool is good. 

Wear good footwear - runners trainers or supportive walking shoes.It will come - dont lean to one side - keep one crutch loosely for balance is better than leaning. When you know you are walking correctly for a short distance work on increasing stride and then distance. There is no rush - better to stay on crutch or stick as cold damage hip or other knee if limping - it is really important not to limp. Take meds as legs limps because its expecting pain so train it to know it is okay to walk normally. Imagine you never had the op and can walk normally - and you will.

• Posted

As Kathryn says, make sure that you are placing your heel first and walk through.  And don't lean to the opposite side, as you will get a painful opposite hip.  One of the most important things is checking that the crutch is the correct height for you when you have shoes on, as this will be different to walking around indoors...and more noticible when you go from one to two.

Patsy

• Posted

After 4 weeks didn't use any at home but used two outside.  After 5 weeks didn't use any outside.  Walked around the garden quickly as I felt secure there and inside I used an exercise bike which brought me on leaps and bounds.  I also tried using the stairs one step at a time to improve further and it worked, but we are all different and some are at different stages at different times, but do try to be brave and strenthen your muscles.  Saying all that I am fed up with the stiffness of my knee sometimes. x
  • Posted

Thanks everyone.

I saw the physio yesterday and he took the crutch off me, gave me a walking stick, had me walking properly up AND down stairs (never done either before) and he said I'm over thinking it and I need to relax and my body will walk as it should do.

he said we're not taught how to walk as toddlers, our bodies just know, and if I relax and don't think about it, it will do the same now.  I think I am worried that because I have limped for so many years I will continue to do so and I do have to remind myself to walk heel, toe etc, so I can't win!!

• Posted

Susan, can I ask how you're doing. I'm 15 weeks post op for new plastic knee cap and metal trochlea (the bit it slides on). I wore a knee support for 11 years as I was told I was too young for op. Outcome of this is that knee heeling fine but muscles wasted because the knee support did their job. I too have forgotten how to walk properly......and I think about walking, which then makes me walk differently........i.e. I limp! I hate it and so wish I could just return to normal walking. I try to walk heel through to ball of foot and then toes, and try to put weight through operated knee, but its hard. Any tips?.

And stairs......don't mention stairs! I've just posted new discussion entitled "stairs" - if you take a look you'll see I'm a wimp lol! 

• Posted

Hi Pam. 

I have also been bad for years and had the too young excuses (I'm 49 now). I didn't wear a brace bit my leg was bent both ways - I couldn't straighten it and was also bow legged - so I think my muscles have a lot to catch up on to remember what they should be doing!  And that's why I worry they will remember to limp rather than walk properly.  

However, I have been doing what the physio told me and trying not to think about it as much and relax (easier said than done), swinging my arm.  I don't think I'm limping, so I think it's right when he says you over think it because you're worried). But I am struggling abit on one stick.

I don't do too bad on stairs, I first went up one step at a time (both feet on it) and then I started to lift my bad leg up as if I was going to stand on the step but didn't do it, just so I knew I could get the stretch.  Now I can walk up the stairs but relying on a stick and looking a bit like the Hunchback of Notredame's sister, but at least I get to the top! I can only come down properly occasionally . I think it's just a matter of strengthening more each time and also believing you CAN do it.

We will get there in the end. It's a shame we can't help each other up and down those stairs and pass each other the tissues too!

take care, sorry I'm not full of tips, but it's the same old - keep trying and we will get there!

Susan x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.