Walking after total knee replacement.

Posted , 7 users are following.

How important is walking for tkr rehab? How much, how often??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would like to know too. Just been for a walk with one crutch as non operated knee keeps giving way. The pain is now from non operated knee which is a real change. How often and for how long? I think I will still need a stick as can't afford to fall due to non operated knee. I am 50 years old and a teacher, before my operation my left knee collapsed in school and I fell knocking my tooth out. Students ran to pick all my marking and me off the floor. My knees were grazed as was my pride and I had to have a new tooth! Terrified it will happen now with right knee and new knee will not be strong enough to save me. 7 weeks post op.

• Posted

I just built up gradually, but used (and still do!) Walking sticks. At eleven weeks I can walk 50 minutes with my two hiking style walking sticks. When started building up my walking I always used two and initially that was crutches of course. My quads only fired up around four to five weeks post surgery. I use one crutch for shorter walks. None around house. Not quite walking as I thought I would be but just taking it as it is.it must be very individual, some people do a lot more a lot sooner. But i worked on the principle that i need the buzz of a nice country walk to bless my soul! I wouldnt do that if my leg was veryvredv or swollen though. I think just start with a little and build up. I
  • Posted

Hi just going in to 9 th week . I find that if I don't walk I stiffen up and then it's like starting all over again . I am now walking with out sticks for short places . Meds are down to night only . Ice sometimes during the day. I have had six weeks of physio each Wednesday and keep doing home physio myself . But walking regular is key . Listen to you body and be kind it's a journey not a race because there is no finish line . Keep up your hard work

• Posted

Depends on YOUR knee mainly. Mine has been slow in recovery and bending, so cannot compare to the fast trackers!

?Physio advised that in early days better to practice the bending and stretching exercises to mobilise joint as too much walking is heavy loading on the knee (the bits that are ours (rather than the implant of course) and can cause swelling but to build up walking gradually, but more each day rather than a huge burst of activity all at once.

?After walks, is the time for the old RICE routine again.

?I have found uneven ground difficult to walk on and still have arthritis in other joints and my knee is not bending well, despite physio and exercising, so I'm having manipulation - something I would like to have avoided, but hey ho.

?Good luck with your walking!

• Posted

Yes, my community physio stressed the range of motion being important over the ability to walk for long periods of time. Also to keep additional support to the joint. I was glad of this. I have never walked without support if my knee was painful. If it got painful I just started to use a crutch or stick to lessen the pressure on it. Its helpful to know it's fine to use a stick whenever you feel the need and not see it as being regressive.

• Posted

One of the most recommended things but you have to avoid any impact...no running, jogging, etc.  Most docs will recommend an elliptical machine which has zero knee impact.  If on a treadmill, you walk slowly, heel and toe.  On hard concrete, get fitted for a fantastic, cushy pair of walking shoes.  It's all about keeping pressure and impact off the knee.

How often is measured in steps.  Push the knee too far and it swells.  Get a pedometer (Fit Bit, Smart Watch, etc.) and track your steps.  Find your "pain point" (swelling)...back off...increase gradually.  I did 8,200+ steps at 5 weeks and ended up with a hot-air balloon for a knee.  Never did that again.  Slow and steady increases.  By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps (5 miles) with zero swelling or pain.

There is no set of guidelines.  Everyone is different. You have to find your own limits and proceed from there.  Believe me...your knee will yell at you when you've exceeded your current limit.  So again...it's not miles...it's the steps that matter.  You can walk every day if you like...just watch the steps.  Take a day off here and there when you are tired or are experiencing pain or swelling.  All very personal.  Listen to your knee.......

• Posted

Very important but first get back to some basics. Walk slow, taking normal strides. Remember the basics: heel, ball, toe and take a full bend...all this with the same action with both legs. You'll look a little strange but you're not competing for sure points. Distance is the issue, regularity is key.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.