Walking Again After Ankle Fracture

Posted , 7 users are following.

It's been 14 weeks since my ankle fracture surgery. I still use the boot and walker and go to therapy. I can walk with the walker with and without the boot. I'm wondering when and how will I learn to walk in the boot without the walker? And when will I learn to walk without the boot and walker? What's the process? What can I do to get to that point? I'm just ready to walk. I tried holding my balance on one foot but I'm scared and it hurts a little. Any suggestions or stories on how you got to that point would really be appreciated. Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

what is your therapist telling you?

my surgery was 7/11 so we are about same time post op

I am in sneakers walking, slight limp and still have some pain when I walk

I tell everyone when they want to make plans that my ankle decides my days! LOL!

When I began PT I was in boot w/crutches

Within a few weeks I was no crutches and no boot

It was scary at first to not have the boot but then I learned not to be afraid of my ankle

I saw ortho on Wednesday and xray shows everything healed nicely and no arthritis

• Posted

I asked him about it Thursday and he said starting next week we going to practice without the walker. I was just wondering should I be walking by myself by now but i guess everybody is different. But how did you start off though? As far as walking without anything?

• Posted

I'm walking without using anything ( surgery july 10 , broke the 3 bones, pulled muscles tendons and had fracture blisters)) and I still can't balance on that foot. .Everyday is different as far as how long I can walk and sometimes I limp and sometimes I don't .The first time I tried to do full weight bearing walking with permission from doc my foot hurt so bad ,I thought I'd never walk again. I just bit the bullet and did it. What I do try to concentrate on is standing straight looking ahead and heel toe. I do sometimes get carried away and spend too much time on my foot and end up looking like Quasi Moto . At this point as far as balancing on that foot , unless I'm planning on engaging in a game of Simon says, I don't really care if I can do it. That's just me. I figure in time with walking and exercise it's got to strengthen .

• Posted

if your therapist is going to start u practicing with no walker thats great

At home I started using just one crutch Before much longer I tried no crutches just the boot and I was able to do it

Its going to hurt You have had almost no weight on it for a long time and you will get used to the feeling

If you have someone at home with you ask them to hold your arm on opposite side of injury and see if you can take a few steps

Youd be surprised at what you can do

Good luck

• Posted

I am 18 weeks, walking in a tennis shoe with no aide. At 16 weeks I was walking with crutches. It hurts , yes. Its swollen, yes. Can I walk far? No. Can I stand for long periods of time? No. About 30 mins. If I do do too much walking in a day...it swells up, but not really bad...but I have a rest day. It's how it is. You are 14 weeks. It all depends how your ankle joint is. Everyone recovers at a difference pace, so many variables, like age, fitness etc...sounds like your therapist is going to let you have a go with out the walker. Ask them about crutches for you, will make you practice balance more, and walk better. It really is a personal decision to walk on it. If you can stand on two feet and the ankle feels strong enough to hold your weight, you are probably ready to take some steps. But balance is key. Balance excersises are good. Good luck. I wish you well.

• Posted

I'm nearly 10 weeks post ORIF. I was given the all clear to FWB after 6 weeks. I was put into an aircast boot at 2.5 weeks. The PT told me to ditch the boot within 2 weeks of FWB (8 weeks post ORIF). At 9 weeks I have said goodbye to the crutches.

The PT told me the first two weeks were the most important time for the bones to fuse.

If I walk too quickly it is easier to limp so I walk slowly and keep chanting 'heel and toe'. Keep up the exercises and hopefully this episode will soon become a dim distant memory!

• Posted

I am 17 weeks post Orif for smashed up ankle and dislocation. I am lucky in that my progres has gone according to the surgeons plan. Walking without crutches from 8 weeks once the boot was provided and driving from 12 weeks with no effects or pain. Now have good ROM and gait is also good. Hang in there, smashing up an ankle is probably the worst injury and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Stay positive and focused on getting better. I do believe we all have a psychological block especially when you are literally learning to walk again after an injury of this nature. If you are stubborn like me but also have a positive and optimistic outlook then it sure does help too.

Best of luck to you on your road to recovery... It gets better I promise you x

• Posted

So what was your process of getting confident and comfortable in walking again? I can wear shoes now but when I walk I hop.. its like i forgot how to walk ugh!

• Posted

Toria90 it took work. Honest you would have probably laughed if you saw me talking to myself - a bit like Uma Thurman in kill bill willing her toe to wiggle!! Well I was the same. I had to focus and clear my mind completely and change my mindset to stop my mind from processing the thought of fear and causing further damage. Took a bit but I did it but it is so true, it is physically and mentally draining having to try and re-train yourself but after a while you forget and for me it just got better and better.

• Posted

Lol! The doctor told me I can get rid of the boot and walker and told me its just psychological. So he releasing me to go back to work in another week but im not even walking good yet. Its frustrating

• Posted

I believe it's true Toria90 as well. I think our mind just develops this huge mental block, my PT said exactly the same and it is quite normal even though you feel like you are going mad it is a normal reaction after having had only use of one leg for a long time. I promise you once you are over the mind barrier it does get better honest x

• Posted

I would just add that once I started PT my ROM began to improve and I wanted to do well.

So I pushed myself

I just made up my mind I was over crutches and boot

• Posted

Yes Sandra - you have to will yourself and push yourself through the barriers that are in your mind - I hear you loud and clear. I was lucky that my Physio only had to see me a few times, I was like you, I was determined that I would not let my psychological barrier beat me. Jeez it has been a blooming long road mind!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.