Walking again after foot fracture?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I broke the 2nd, 3rd and 4th metatarsals in my right foot just over 7 weeks ago, and today the doctor gave me the all-clear to try walking normally without the moon boot and crutches. I haven't been referred for physio (supposedly because I still have a decent range of movement in my ankle, although my toes are as stiff as a board), and they didn't do any X-rays - just prodded my foot about a bit and said it seemed to have healed!

I've been trying to walk in regular shoes this afternoon (using one crutch as a walking stick), but I've found it awkward and uncomfortable so far. I can only move at snail's pace, and walk with a limp because the muscles have all weakened and wasted away from lack of use. I also seem to be walking flat-footed on my bad side - I can't properly roll forward on the ball of my foot the way you naturally do when walking, maybe because I associate that motion with pain. I'm not really experiencing pain from the fracture site, but I do sometimes keep getting little twinges in my foot here and there (my fifth MTP joint seems to be the main culprit).

I know it's early days in terms of recovery, but I'm still a little worried my foot isn't healing how it should be. Do you think I should get in touch with the fracture clinic and ask for physio, or a second opinion? Also, should I be wearing a certain kind of shoes, or any special braces/insoles with them? I really wasn't given much advice by the hospital so I'm worried about damaging my foot again, but at the same time I know I won't fully recover if I just keep relying on the boot and crutches forever...

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try a Brooks or other good tennis shoe at first. My foot orthopedic likes Brooks. And try walking heel to toe as normally as possible for a short distance. I would bet your ligaments and muscles just are not used to the pressure. Maybe PT would in fact be a good idea. 
  • Posted

I think it would be a very good idea to ask for physiotherapy. 

While none of us here is a doctor, your recovery sounds normal to me. I’m currently recovering from tarsometatarsal bone fusion surgery for my 1st, 2nd and 3rd tarsometatarsal bones, and am in week 10 post surgery. I’m finally allowed to walk outside without my moon boot on too, and as the foot is still swollen my trainers are the only thing I can wear comfortably. I’d definitely recommend something like trainers, as they’ll give the foot decent support.  I’m also using one crutch, just to take some of the strain off. My whole body, especially my legs, is now aching like made due to two and a half months of inactivity and then two days of finally taking the dog for a walk. 

It’s normal for the foot to feel stiff, and it’s only by using the foot that this will start to pass. My foot also feels flat, like the arch has gone. I suppose that will come back with use. I’m having physio, so it obviously can’t be an issue. 

It’s a shame they didn’t do another x-ray, but then as x-rays don’t show foot fractures very well due to their being so many bones in the foot, which prevents  proper viewing, maybe it’s not all that surprising. 

Good luck with your continued recovery. 

• Posted

Thanks! I'm glad this seems to be a normal part of recovery, at least. The joints in my foot seem to be the main source of discomfort when I walk, so I'm going to venture out and find some trainers or insoles with arch support - the only 'sensible' shoes I own are Dr Martens which are sturdy but also quite flat (and also slightly too small for my swollen foot). Hopefully that'll solve the joint pain issue!

• Posted

Are trainers tennis shoes? My ortho likes Brooms so try to find them.

About $90 US dollars but worth it . 

• Posted

Ugh meant Brooks tennis shoes duh
    • Posted

Yes, I believe trainers are what you call tennis shoes, or running shoes? General sports footwear. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.