Walking and returning to work?

Posted , 4 users are following.

How long after ankle ORIF surgery did you:

1. Return to work?
  2. Walk?
  3. Start PT?

I am having a hard time deciding if I should try to return to work while I am healing and on crutches or if I should give myself time to fully heal and return once I can walk.

Thanks in advance for any input.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hello, it depends what your job is. i am a office worker and can work at home. i started work after 2 weeks, & afyer 4 weeks i did 2 days in work & 2 days at home. im now 13 weeks still in boot and cant drive. i am pottering around the house and walking unaided but its been a really slow process. doing very basic PT. dont try & do too much to soon - that was my downfall!!!

• Posted

I returned to work 3 weeks after surgery. I had a knee scooter though, not crutches at that point. i wouldn't have returned if it was still crutches, as I was horrible getting around on them. My job was mostly sedentary. So I was able to stay at my desk with my foot elevated. And if I did go to another part of the building, I used my knee scooter to elevate my foot while seated. It's doable, but really depends on your job.

• Posted

I broke my right ankle around four weeks before I was due to take extended long service leave from work, so went back for a few days around week 3 to do a handover to the person taking over. It was very difficult. If you are going to return to work - make it shorter days to start if you can.

At two weeks when they swapped me from the cast to the boot, the physios at the hospital gave me a sheet with some basic movements to do - back and forth, ABC's etc to get the joints moving. This was all I did until I was cleared for weight bearing at 6 weeks.

I was seeing the physio once a week from week two to week six as I also tore ligaments in my left ankle, and they wanted me to get that seen to straight away. The physio wouldn't touch the broken ankle until I was cleared by the surgeons, but did check I was doing my movement correctly from time to time.

My appointment was just prior to the 6 week mark, because the orthopeadic outpatients at the hospital is only once a week and that's when my appointment was. I was cleared and they had me take some steps in the office. It hurt really badly from the lack of sensory input more than anything. I then started twice a week physio from the next day, to get back to walking, it took two to two & a half weeks to get to full weight bearing, no boot, no crutches. But it took another 8 to 10 weeks to actually walk properly, no limp, no stopping all the time to rest. I'm at 11 months now and I am running 3kms (I didn't even do that before I broke it!) and hopping, playing ice hockey. It just takes time.

• Posted

Id say about 12 weeks before I could walk in sneakers

And some days that was a limp

I returned to work 6-7 months post op but I bartend and waitress

If you have desk job totally different

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.