Walking Causing Knee Pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi

Well the good thing is that now 12 weeks post ankle fractures in 2 places and dislocation I am up and about walking again which is the good news. The not so good news is that I have a slight limp (to be expected) but unfortunately I now have pain in my knee which is causing me to limp more!!!! How on earth can I get rid of this knee pain which is counteracting my rehabilitation. Has anyone out there had a similar experience?

Thanks.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi iris, pleased to hear your back on your feet. I am the same limping which has given me knee and also hip pain. 

The only thing I can suggest is to try and concentrate on walking properly, that is heel, toe.

i am going to mention this when I see the physiotherapist in a week time and see what they suggest. 

• Posted

Thanks Gill sorry to hear you are having similar problems. I am seeing physio tomorrow so will mention it too. Its like one step forward and two back.....
  • Posted

Be interested to hear what your physiotherapist has to say, depending where you live treatment seems so different.

when I first get up in the morning I can walk for about 15mins without limping, once the swelling starts the limp comes more severe as days goes on. Sometimes I think it also becomes a habit.😸

• Posted

Hi Iris!

Yes !! Was you in a boot long. I was in a boot a few months as I wasn't walking without aids until post op 5 MONTHS. Also had pain in my knee. It was a mystery to the physiotherapist but on starting hydrotherapy, the physiotherapist there noticed I had a slight bend in my knee and I told her I get pain in my knee. It was through not walking for a long time and my muscles shrinking. She has me standing on my toes in the pool on the bottom step, holding hand rails and leaning right forward to stretch my muscles. You can stretch on land too. That's the problem. Keep working on those leg stretches 🙂

• Posted

Thanks for that I think you are right as leg muscles have shrunk. I went swimming yesterday and was doing the standing on toes exercise so will keep it going. I can only do one foot standing on toe in the pool as y fortunately at home on dry land it proves to be quite painful. I will keep trying though.

Cheers

• Posted

I'm experiencing the very same pain. I have mild arthritis in both knees but have had more pain in the knee which I had the ankle break. Mine is due to my walking different which is because my ankle is still swollen causing me to push backwards and as a result put more pressure on my knee.
  • Posted

Yes, I'm having knee pain also. But the problem was I had it before (meniscus tear) too and pushing myself around on the scooter didn't help. Now I just started walking yesterday after not walking since I broke my ankle/torn ligament on 07Feb. But I can already feel it, in both, so I hope I don't have more pain in the future.
    • Posted

Hi glad to hear you are starting to walk again but sorry to hear about the pain starting so soon. I fractured my ankle 12 weeks ago now. Have been hobbling about for around 3 weeks. Walking is improving as is the swelling but still get pain and of course now the knee pain. Just when you think you can see a light at the end if the tunnel something else seems to come along. I know it is a long drawn out process but just want to be normal again.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Iris

im 5 mos post op just getting in my walker.  Hips go out with this type of injury. Knees hurt, it's all connected. I'm working on alignment thru physio, massage and adjustments. My leg is weak and hyperextended so yesterday I put my knee brace on and it works beautifully for me. She taped my knee but this works so much better. I hope you get relief soon, it's a long journey but we're all getting there one way or the other - it  amazes me how resourceful we all are and sharing our wisdom!!  Take care 👣

• Posted

I agree with Jannie. I think when the body gets out of alignment by many issues including muscles being smaller on one side of the body, swelling causing imbalance, or a gait that changes due to a limp etc., it is really hard on the body, and the body reacts immediately to tell you there is an issue. We were meant to be balanced on both sides. I like Ms. Camboot's idea about hydrotherapy where these imbalances are not so hard on the body. I would exercise until I felt any pain, then quit for a while if it is knee or hip pain etc., try to rub out the knees, or areas of pain with massage, to loosen them up. I would also work hard on going slowly, smoothly, and with proper gait...heel toe walking (the walker can really help with alignment since you can lean on it vs. walking through a limp).
  • Posted

A lady I know who broke her ankle a few years ago, warned me about knee and hip pain. She said it is from not having weight on them for so long.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.