Walking correctly after tkr

Posted , 6 users are following.

has anyone had good advice re walking aafter tkr? positioning of leg, foot etc ?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Try to ensure you walk heel to toe and resist temptation to walk on the front of your foot. Wear trainers or soft walking shoes for support and practice walking heel to toe with your crutches / walker. I did lengths of my kitchen diner in the early days. GOOD LUCK

• Posted

oh thats a good idea trying to walk inside also ill try the heel to toe thank uou for the advice

• Posted

I had been knocked knee before my 2 tkrs. MOST of my shoes had to be replaced because of wear on the inside of my soles. CHECK THE WEAR ON your shoes. Get a good arch support shoe or buy insoles. That helped me more anything . Have someone watch you walk and see how it looks . Best if luck Walk on!!!

• Posted

Heal ..toe...as others have said. i find birkenstock sandals give me good support.

• Posted

thank you ill try that

• Posted

It's almost like you have to learn how to walk all over again. My PT taught me to kick the leg with the new knee as far out in front of you as possible so you land on your heel and then roll the foot to your toe as you transition the step to that leg. It's an exaggerated "heel-toe" step that looks funny but has to be done. You have to focus and consciously extend that leg and hit the ground with your heel first. Seems awkward at first but it will take less than a month to get your full stride back and then you never think of it again.

PS: For walking, it's never the distance or time that counts...it's the number of STEPS you take in a day. That way you can measure the actual load you are putting on the knee. Get a fit bit or smart watch that will act as a pedometer. The software will track and graph your progress. If you do too much on a given day and experience pain and swelling ("balloon knee"), NOTE THE STEP COUNT for that day. Back off, recover and resume by targeting a lower step count. When comfortable, increase gradually. Listen to the knee!!!

(I got my balloon knee at 5 weeks when I did 8,200+ steps in one day. Payed the price for 3 days...ouch. Ice, elevate, anti-inflammatories. I made sure that it never happened again. By 8 months, I was doing 11,000+ steps a day...over 5 miles...with no problem.)

Also, you MUST rebuild the atrophied musculature that supports the knee (quads, glutes, core, hip flexors, etc.). This requires strength work as walking and cycling will not do the whole job. The rebuild takes the pressure off the knee and puts it back on the muscles where it belongs. This is very important in not causing more pain in the new knee. Consider...

Muscle Rebuild

Good luck...

• Posted

thanks chico thats such a lot of good advice & so helpful

• Posted

This is how kids are taught to do "drill" in high school band camp. It feels weird at first but it's easy to master quickly. Then, once you are at full stride, you don't even think about it. Watch some DCI competitions on YouTube and see how they do it for 8 solid minutes, forwards and backwards, in bizarre, ever-changing formations, while playing a musical instrument. You'll get the idea... Just remember that the muscle rebuild will help the walking immensely as you get your strength back. I'm 3 1/2 years post-op...the tough work was all worth it.

• Posted

Yes, heel to toe as everyone says. Use walking aids until you can walk without a limp and feel confident. I continued using a stick outside long after I gave it up indoors. Try to walk every day increasing steps gradually. A friend used lamp posts as a guide, walking one further each day. For ages I felt as if I had a wonky wheel and would drift across the path, but as the leg has strengthened it's improved and I don't think about it now.

• Posted

My podiatrist advised me to check all my shoes for wear, as my gait would have changed, and buy new if possible or have them repaired. Most of my old shoes have been thrown out now, but luckily I had about 3 pairs I'd bought not long before and hardly worn.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.