walking difficulties weak legs

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I'm not sure if this is the correct discussion group.

I woke up one day in December and my leg was stiff. Sometimes I couldn't bend it, sometimes not straighten it, some days it swelled to the size of a football. I sometimes walked around the house in a hunch. No pain. I still limp and can only just climb the stairs, i walk down the stairs one at a time.

I saw a pysio last week and she thinks cartilage is fine, the ligament isn't doing its job due to weak muscles. She thinks both my legs are weak.

I can't lift my left leg when lying on my back and both legs hardly move when on side lifting knee with heels together.

I've never been sporty, been a slow Walker past few years. 6 years ago I had sdp during my second pregnancy from 28 weeks and the same 2 years ago severe sdp and pgp, i couldn't even pidgeon step and had to lift my legs with my arms. I'm always pulling my back. Could this still be related to my pregnancy? I have an underactive thyroid. I suffer from difficulty walking on occasion when it feels like im wearing moon boots.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You might try reading the page on "Could my problems be due to McArdle Disease?". It is in the GSD Type V section of the ASGD-UK web site

https://www.agsd.org.uk/

• Posted

Interesting, reminded me of problems I had when I was young. I still cramp on occasion and always get foot cramp. Most of those symptoms do match mine so I'll look into it. Thanks.

However there is no pains in my knee or legs when walking. At least not often and not much pain like 3/10.

• Posted

The problem that arose in December doesn't sound like McArdle's, although I wouldn't rule it out. But most of the rest of your description does. Thinking back to before December, if from a cold start (having been sitting for an hour or so) you walked at a normal pace for anyone else, would you start to tire and get the "moon boots" feeling you descrbe within a  few minutes?  And if you then rested would the feeling go away within a minute or two, but probably come back again after a few minutes of restarting the walking? If so, I think it woud be worth getting a very easy blood test called Creatine Kinase (CK or CPK). If raised that won't diagnose McArdle's but it will point to it and a few other possibilities.
    • Posted

I tire very easily I would start walking slower quite quickly after walking with other people.

More recently I can't keep up with people.

I don't get out of breath as such just out of energy. Sometimes i rest for an hour and still get up slow. Sometimes i get shaky.

I don't get the moon boots always. Its usually just slowness even though im trying. The moon boots comes and goes like once a year but will last for days or weeks then go. I looked down at my legs Monday which I don't usually do as im trying to focus on the ground and not sway and it looked like i was marching on the spot. I was moving forward slowly but i have to keep stopping myself and try walk normally again. After i take a few steps it starts, the faster i get the more effort i put in, its exhausting which is why I believe the light-headedness starts. I popped into the walk in surgery Monday so the dr could see and he tested arm strength nose to finger, i was shaky couldn't get the words out, heart racing so he said its panic attacks as drs and neurologist would have picked up on it by now. Yes i get panic attacks and anxiety but its different.

My thyroid results, liver, kidney, blood count came back normal.

• Posted

Hello I asked for my ck and vitamin check and the ck was not done. My vitamin d has come back really low at 7! Seeing gp on Friday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.