Walking FWB

Posted , 13 users are following.

I have been walking FWB for two days and in regular shoes (8 weeks post op).  I used walker first day and tried crutches second day.  The pain is horrible.  He did X-rays and I'm healed.  It's just so stiff and I swell.  Trying to get through this day by day. Came home and iced and elevated. In the morning it looks good but it It so stiff!  This is not fun!  How long until it gets better? 

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I know it's frustrating. I am 10 weeks out and still not walking. In a boot. At my 6 weeks checkup my doctor showed me my x-ray and even though there was bone growth and fusion...By no means am I healed. That takes a long time. Be patient and love on your foot. Massage it as often as possible and start massaging your scar if you haven't already, you'll thank me later. Once that scar tissue forms the foot becomes so tight...My therapists are having to "snake bite" it...Which means they suction the scar (like cupping) just to loosen that scar tissue. Take small steps as often as you can, and then take a break. Even a few steps a day helps build your stamina. AND try exercising your good foot as well. Mine gets so tired.

• Posted

Aww be prepared for the journey!! I am 8 months post orif surgery for a trimalleolar fracture and it sure it some journey - but hang in there - there is a light at the end of the long tunnel.

For me and I know not for others - mine has pretty much been a textbook recovery. Still a work in progress but definately coming out of the long tunnel. Swelling yes still a blooming nuisance at the end of the day but nowhere near as it was say 2 months ago. Stiffness yes still in the morning and definately at the end of the evening when I drag my sorry self up to bed but other than those minor hiccups my recovery is where it should be at.

I actually visited my Doc last week and he was eager to see the scars!! he actually said that my progress was remarkable considering the damage i had caused myself!!! He also said some cases are really not as favourable at all so I really do count my blessings!!!

It will get better I promise x

Michelle x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.