Walking in shoes how long after brostrum procedure?

Posted , 5 users are following.

It will be six week tomorrow. The boot comes off in a few days. How long before I can use my tennis shoes and how does it feel when first walking?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Debbie, they say we are all different but for me I can only wear flats at the mo no heels, so I have bee wearing my Converse, I walked as soon as cast was off, but very painfull, & was told to be careful of uneven surfaces ..I went & done a bit of shopping today & overdone it a bit 🙉 & was really painful too, so I have been up elevating it this afternoon, we will get there Debbie but think it takes time,

Take care x

• Posted

I only wore my boot for two weeks. It drove me crazy. I bought a pair of slip on tennis shoes. Easier to get around but because I tend to push and do more than I should, the tendon above my ankle on the inside of my leg is really painful. I'm icing and elevating. Ugh! Two steps forward three steps back. 

Take your time and do what feels best for you. 

Wishing you good luck and fast healing. 😀

Karen

• Posted

My Dr made me promise I would not walk without boot . Or he would put me in cast. I had wrap for two weeks now boot for 4
  • Posted

Maybe start with a bit of support from a cane or one crutch. It is a bit harder on your ankle as all your stability muscles have to work more in your foot. If you go to PT they give you great guidance. Don't overdue or you will be too swollen and sore and out of commission for a few days. I found the cane really helped me transition, use it on your good side and step forward with it moving with your bad leg.

You are so lucky to be at this stage so soon!

Good luck!

Margie

• Posted

I'd say you are doing much better than the rest of us. I'm sure your doctor would want you to use an ankle brace for some support.  Myself, I spent six weeks in a cast, I now have to spend another six weeks in my walking boot and hopefully then be in a smaller ankle brace for God knows how long. If you didn't have surgery I'd say your recovery will be almost complete in six months. 

• Posted

Oh I did have surgery. I had the brostrom procedure to repair two torn n ligaments and I have a nylon plate

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.