Walking on Eggshells until Colonoscopy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am three weeks into my first flare. Right sided diverticulitis, lingering pain that changes every day - some days better than others. I’ve been on a liquid diet for the majority of that time (lost 13 pounds) and I’ve been put on antibiotics until my colonoscopy which is scheduled for June 1st, two weeks from tomorrow. They say if I re-flare or am still having symptoms, they’ll need to postpone to colonoscopy.

The pain is usually pretty minor at this point - some random sharp pains today when i move a certain way or take a deep breath - but it’s usually a dull pulling or ache that doesn’t really limit my physical activity or ability to work. The hardest part for me has been the anxiety: I’m scared to advance my diet and spark another flare. I’m also scared that I’m still having random pains three weeks in. I’m also scared that the colonoscopy could show something more sinister going on than just diverticulitis. 

This forum has really helped me, but I find myself really needing reassurance, advice, and encouragement. Most days, at least a few times a day, I’m on the brink of tears with this. I’m a previously healthy 46 year old man. This has really turned my life upside down.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are having a difficult time. I am still having pain 1 and 1/2 months later. Did you have a ct scan? My surgeon won't give me another colonoscopy because he says the ct showed everything a colonoscopy would. Mind you I did have one just over a year ago.

I too have lots of anxiety over adding foods. Protein is difficult for me for a long time. I can do potatoes no skin and plain pasta quite quickly.

Try not to worry the doc is going to find more stuff. I'd bet he just wants a better view of your diverticulitis.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I had a CT scan on the day I was diagnosed which showed an inflamed diverticulum in my right colon. Six days later I was still having pain so they ordered another CT scan that showed the inflammation had mostly resolved. So I’m not sure why I’m still having so much discomfort and difficulty with diet. I guess the symptoms can linger for a long time after the CT scan abnormalities resolve.
    • Posted

I think the key word there is mostly. I believe as long as you have any inflamation you can have intermittent (spelling?) pain. I was diagnosed late January last year and I have had as many days with pain then not since.

When you start to eat write everything down and you will start to see which foods might be making this worse. My list is pretty long of suspect foods as I call them and I avoid them like the plague.

I hope this helps and maybe someone with right side diverticulitis will reply.

• Posted

Hi sorry to know you are so worried, I'm in same boat, I'm seeing gi surgeon on 29th hope he will do colonoscopy, I'm three weeks feeling unwell, was diagnosed 3 years ago with diverticulitis, that was my last colonoscopy, I've been good since except for acid reflux, I'm so frightened that this not a flare up but something worse, I've a lot of lower back pain and leg pain with really loose bowel so I know what you are going tru, first round of cipro antibiotic hasn't worked for me, did you feel better on antibiotics?

• Posted

The first round of Cipro and Flagyl I took for 10 days. I’m not sure it did very much. Three or four days after I finished the 10-day course I was still having pain so my doctor thought it best to restart the antibiotics and keep me on them until my colonoscopy.
  • Posted

Try not to overthink this. I was just the same coming up to my colonoscopy 3 yrs ago. Pain,mucus,blood. I was convinced it had to be something really sinister. I was told the same that if I still had the flare up symptoms the colonoscopy would have to be postponed.  It went ahead and diverticulitis was found. Had standard biopsies taken and all negative. Have only had 3 flare ups . Remember to drink plenty of water and try not to get constipated. I find this helps more than cutting out certain foods. Good luck for June 1st. The preparation at home is worse than the procedure which was only slightly uncomfortable (you will need to be close to the toilet!!!) other than DD sure all will be well.
    • Posted

Hi Angela

Can I ask how long you had your flare up while you were waiting for the colonoscopy, were you on antibiotics

• Posted

had a  colonoscopy.back in march due to diverticulitis, was in hospital for a month due to problems with stoma but all though its hard to get used to the pain has gone and i feel like i have a new life. im sure and hope you will be fine after op, good luck mate
  • Posted

Hi just wondering how you are doing, what was result of your colonoscopy?
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for checking in. My colonoscopy went well. The doctor found a single diverticulum in my right colon where the inflammation had been on my CT scan in April. At the time of my colonoscopy on June 1st, there was no inflammation. The doctor saw mild inflammation in my descending and sigmoid colon and took biopsies which came back negative. He attributed the findings in my descending and sigmoid colon to irritation from the bowel prep or antibiotics. 

Since then I have slowly advanced my diet. I still have occasional right sided pains that seem more related to physical activity than to what I’ve eaten. I have a follow up appt next week on the 28th for a recheck.

• Posted

That's such good news, I am delighted for you and hope you will continue to feel better, I am awaiting a date for colonoscopy and feeling extremely nervous and anxious, I'm sure you know how that feels.

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel. Try to relax and just take one day at a time. Plan to do something nice for yourself each day to give yourself something to look forward to. It can be something simple like spending time with a pet or watching a favorite tv show. Try to live in the moment and not fret too much. Once you’ve had your colonoscopy, you will have a great sense of relief and freedom from worry. 
    • Posted

Hi Kate,

I don't know if you have had a colonoscopy before or not so please excuse this post.

I googled the prep tips before my colonoscopy and I read eat no meat or cheese for 2 days prior.My prep was so easy. I maybe went 8 times after 3 doses of the medicine. I was fully awake for the colonoscopy and it was fine. A few minutes of pain but that was all. I hope everyone's colonoscopy goes as easy as mine was.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.