Walking or testing which is best

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi again all, almost 7 weeks post TKR, , the pain below my knee and the tight band remains very painful and interupts my sleep still. I've teied more walking, more icing, more resting, anyone advise what works for them, very disillusioned

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I remember the tight band above my knee very well!!! All I can say is keep doing the exercises regularly, 10 to 15 reps for a count of 10 to 15 if you can as I'm sure that's what helped me. I just noticed one day that the tight band wasn't as tight and everything was suddenly easier. I pottered around at home quite a bit, rested a lot tho, and did the exercises 3 times a day whilst hating them lol, and then one day it suddenly seemed to improve! Dont know if that helps at all but hang in there and I'm sure you'll get there. Good luck!!!!!

• Posted

Thank you kim, will try to improve with the exercises, but find as soon as ive rested the leg stiffness is back with a vengeance, thanks for your support,

• Posted

I used to find exactly the same thing including after doing my flexing of the knee exercises. within minutes everything reverted to being a tight as it was before!! I used to wonder if it was me or if it was normal and asked my physio this. it's very normal apparently so I carried on exercising and, as I said, one day I suddenly noticed things seemed easier and less tight and stayed that way for a bit. That "bit" gradually got longer and things feel more normal but I know I'm still definitely not normal yet lol!!!

• Posted

Cheers Kim, 4 weeks i go back to consultant, to see if i need a manipulation, I'm praying i don't, so will plough on , Hope you have a happy New year☺

• Posted

I am 5 months post op TLKR, and still have the tight band. It's only in the last week I've noticed the band isn't as tight, but is definitely not gone.

At 7 weeks you are very early post op. Keep doing your exercises, and remember RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Exercise.

Recovery is a long road, so chin up.

• Posted

Thank you Colleen , would like to get out more and walk, as the days are very wet and short at the moment thats difficult, will continue on, will be worth it one day

• Posted

Hi Susan im 9months tkr and the tightness has gone completely but im still having pain below my knee. I have been back to see the surgeon where he got me to have some xrays. im due to see him again in January.

The pain is not there when im sitting but when i walk. its like a knife stabbing my leg.

Im sure if you do the excersise the tightness will go.

Good luck.

• Posted

The disillusionment comes from crushed expectations. Very typical. Get rid of all those expectations, timetables and mind-games. They just screw with your head. This is typically a one-year, gradual recovery that's controlled by the knee, not you. Your tools are time, work and patience. Accept that and you'll be waaaaay better off.

Walking... Time and distance are irrelevant; it's the STEPS that count since they put the load on the knee. Get a pedometer. The software will track your steps and chart your progress. Increase GRADUALLY. Do too much on any given day and you will absolutely get "balloon knee". Note the step count, back off, ice, elevate and resume gradually.

Click my name, Discussions and See All. Read the ones on ROM Work at Home, Post-TKR Exercising, Post-Op Depression and Sleeping... for starters. There's about 30 out there on all sorts of topics. I hope they help.

"Never give up! Never surrender!" - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Hi Susan

• I had my tkr 20 months ago. At first i had pain below my knee when i was walking especially downhill and also a tightness in the muscle above my kneecap after walking and getting up from a sofa chair after resting

I started Gym again after 2 months 3 times a week. i also did knee extensions at home plus other exercises as given by the PT

I noticed a big improvement after a few months the pain below my knee eased and the tightness in the muscle stopped. The secret is Exercise and more Exercise.

Walking for about 30 minutes is also good but bend your knee when walking dont walk with a stiff leg as you will develop a limp in later months.

7 weeks is still early days for recuperation, you should feel a lot better pain wise in a few more months and it does get better i assure you. As i said I am 20 months post TKR and am back playing Doubles Tennis in doors and competitive Tennis at my club

It is a long hard slog but you will get there in the end if you follow what all the PTS tell you

Good luck

Howard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.