Walking Sticks and Disability Parking.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey, I am a newbie to the group. I was diagnosed with fibro last year and, to be honest, I am still getting used to it. However, lately, I have been having a lot of trouble with my stability, balance and walking a far distance. (Sometimes I feel they go hand in hand.) You see I'm a History and Art teacher in training and whilst on my month long holiday I had three pretty bad falls and many close calls, making five bad falls within the last year, as I was reminded by a friend. I feel like my legs just don't want to hold be up when I am tired and with lack of decent sleep that's most of the time bad and really bad when I have a flair up, not to mention when I go shopping. All this got me seriously considering if I should make that step and buy a walking stick or cane and possibly asking my doctor for a parking permit on my bad days. What do you guys think? Is that a smart thing to do? I am only 21 and the idea of a cane and a 'disability' parking permit scares me.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Go for it Jazin...  don't feel embarrassed or awkward.  Remember it's about you..keeping you safer from falls etc..  I use an elbow crutch myself, however not all day everday, only on my worst days or when I know I'm going to be walking a distance, steps or inclines on my journey.  Otherwise if I don't take it/use it on those trips I get into strife.  The odd occassion I can go quite a distance without, but I suffer for it of course the next day or so..  hohummm  but that's just how it is.

Sorry to hear you have the condition, but the best thing is, is to not buy into it all day everyday... Push forward mentally, make good with all the positives.  It isn't a death sentence..   

Well done with your studies!  :-)  All the best for future.  

• Posted

I'm the same with my Fabriomyalgia, I can get very light headed, I do have a walking stick, however that's mainly for athritist, but to be honest the stick doesn't help with my balance, it's just part of Fabriomyalgia for some people xxx

• Posted

Hi Jazin,

the way you described feeling as if your legs not wanting to hold you up, is exactly the way I feel about my legs. Also my feet are so painful that it feels as if I'm walking on pebbles.

I've had Fibro for a few years now, but I also have arthritis and spondilitis and like you I stumble and have fallen several times.  I bought a walking stick, but to honest it doesnt really help much, in actual fact I have almost tripped over it a few times.

Give it a try, it may be of some help to you and apply for a blue badge, it certainly helps being able to park closer to where you are heading.  

Good luck with your training.

• Posted

hi sukes i also have sponilitis and arthritis wonder if it comes with the fibro ? and what you describe is me also good luck with your crutches .i couldnt use them either it was too painful under my arm sad 

• Posted

'Elbow crutches' sukes, they support you with different hand grips and an elbow support.  Not like the typical underarm crutches....  Take care...

• Posted

Hi all, just wanted to say, with regard to comments about walking stick not helping with balance, I used a stick for a few years but recently changed to a crutch (I have two, but only use one) and have found it much more helpful. I bought them online, you can get them in different colours, mine are purple! Also, Jazin, definitely get a parking permit, take all the help you can get is my advice. Why struggle more than you need? x
    • Posted

Do you remember the website you bought your crutches from, I think that's what I need instead of my stick? Thanks

• Posted

HIYA YES I WOULD IF YOU FEEL THE NEED YES , ALTHOUGH IM NOT EVEN ON PIP OR ANYTHING DOR DISABILITY IM FILLING IN THE FORMS WHEN I ALL MY INFO AND LETTERS FROM DIF. SPECIALSTS AND I TRIED A WALKING STICK AND SOME DAYS I CAN,T EVEN USE AS IT HURTS TOO MUCH TO HOLD IT WHEN I PUT MY WEIGHT ON IT I GET REAL PAIN IN MY SHOULDERS AND HAND ECT. BUT SOME DAYS IM NOT SO BAD BUT IT STILL HURTS 24/7 I WOULDN,T WISH THIS CONDITION ON MY WORST ENEMY .
    • Posted

I would find using an ordinary walking stick difficult 70% of the time, so I took to using an elbow crutch at a height that suits me...  I still get pain in my hands and shoulder etc but not so much as trying to balance my weight when needing to using a W'stick with no other support...  They look clumsey and can be at times, but it's about compromise..   All the best..

• Posted

yes deb. i fell over my stick too and really hurt myself i do use a walking stick umbrella at times and a trolly on wheels for my shopping xx
  • Posted

Hi jazin95 I have had several falls and my balance is very poor, I use a walking stick and also a walking frame. The walking frame helps with the balance issues. I would definitly see your gp and get some aids to help you. As others have mentioned crutches would help also. Hope all goes well for you in your training to be history art teacher. take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.