Walking with Sticks. . . How Long 🤔

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi 😁

Now I know we all recover in different ways, just wanted to ask on average how long was you in Sticks. I have a appointment this Friday, get my staples out, and clean dressing sorted etc etc. been home since late Wednesday evening, on sticks after day 2 in hospital, should I be pushing the sticks going into week 3 or 4, just wanted to ask you fine hippies 👍

Stay Safe & Stay Happy 😊

Pete....

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

hi Pete as you say we are all different. a lot depends on age physical ability etc. I'm 75 and was on one stick at two weeks and off that by week six i only use a stick walking dog over rough ground. Now going into week eight, your body will let you know when to ditch the sticks. all the best Dawron

• Posted

what id say is don't bother trying to make a plan now your body will tell you when its ready to do things. vere on the side of caution instead of the quickest solution so you dont have to go backwards. i did my exercises about 4 x the standing up and two sets of lying down (3 if i took a nap mid day) anf the sitting ones when i was bored.

i had crutches due to they were just easier as my leg hsd to change so much i stoos up one day and was in the kitchen without realising it snd had to go back for them... that's when i stsrted dropping to one in the house two outside. then one outside the first time i took someone with me. then walking holding it off the ground for a few steps each time until i rebuild my strength.

everyone is different but prior to my hip i lost a lot of muscle through no mobility so i was off the crutches by week 7 but i could have been rid at week four if id pushed it.

i still do my post op boring small muscle group exercises as i still get muscle pain but im really glad i didnt just put them away when i started forgetting them.

i hope your doing well ans enjoying yhe new hip already 😃 xxx

• Posted

what id say is don't bother trying to make a plan now your body will tell you when its ready to do things. vere on the side of caution instead of the quickest solution so you dont have to go backwards. i did my exercises about 4 x the standing up and two sets of lying down (3 if i took a nap mid day) anf the sitting ones when i was bored.

i had crutches due to they were just easier as my leg hsd to change so much i stoos up one day and was in the kitchen without realising it snd had to go back for them... that's when i stsrted dropping to one in the house two outside. then one outside the first time i took someone with me. then walking holding it off the ground for a few steps each time until i rebuild my strength.

everyone is different but prior to my hip i lost a lot of muscle through no mobility so i was off the crutches by week 7 but i could have been rid at week four if id pushed it.

i still do my post op boring small muscle group exercises as i still get muscle pain but im really glad i didnt just put them away when i started forgetting them.

i hope your doing well ans enjoying yhe new hip already 😃 xxx

• Posted

Hello Pete,

I was using one crutch in the house after a week but, two to go outside until about week 8. I then used my walking stick as the bone that had the implant in, felt uncomfortable and ached a bit. About week twelve it was comfortable to walk without the walking stick. I thought better to be safe than sorry by pushing too soon.

• Posted

Everyone heals differently. You have to listen to your body and your pain. I was using a walker on day 2, a cane on day 3, and by day 6, nothing at all.

• Posted

The easy answer is "until you don't limp"

It is different for everyone, and my three recoveries have all been very different.

• Posted

i kept using 2 sticks when out walking as a security blanket, even though i wasn't limping, until about 12 weeks. then i went out one day and realised I'd forgotten them. i never used them again.

• Posted

i used crutches for five weeks until i had no limp

• Posted

Hiya Guys 😁

just been out back and walked to the end of the road, about 150 yards but it's a start yep. still less than 2 weeks since my THR 👍

I'm feeling very good at the moment and hope things can progress as the days pass, it's the best thing I've done in years. i was like others, having my doubts about going in hospital, but i should have got myself in last year or so for the op...

Stay Safe & Stay Happy 😀

Pete 😁

• Posted

Like several others have said,your body will tell you when to discard the sticks or cane. If you walk with a limp without the sticks,continue using until that limp gets better. I used a cane for almost 8 weeks,to make sure my walking was correct,without a limp. And,as far as the walking itself, it doesn't have to be miles,just short walks a few times a day will help to strengthen your leg.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.