Walking without aids and limps.

Posted , 16 users are following.

Just wondering if people can provide a timeline for when they were able to walk without aids after a THR and if you still have a limp?

I was on 1 crutch for about 5 months prior to surgery and was on a walker for about 2 days after surgery and then back to 1 crutch. Currently at 11 days post surgery. Really want to ditch the crutch but walk like my legs aren't working without it. It's like I've forgotten how to walk normally.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'd say still early days. Plus only one crutch is unusual to begin with. Normally it's advised to keep with the crutches until you're not limping. Just keep doing the exercises! It will get stronger but I've discovered that my whole rh side is muscle weak after suffering for years before I had my hip replacement. It will be a long time before the muscle builds back, if it ever does.

• Posted

Hi I'm 14 days post op and I too walk with one crutch and find that although I can get around without it, I walk with a limp. I wouldn't be too eager to start walking without a crutch as you may end up with a permanent limp. The crutch helps you to walk properly so I think you just need to be patient (easier said than done, I know!) Good luck with your recovery.

• Posted

Hi, Ive had both hips done, both were different. Its advised to use 2crutches to keep you straight and even. I know they are a pain but keep them going. I had mine for 4 and 6 weeks. I also used my walking stick after the crutches for longer walks. Do yr exersizes every day. Its amazing how yr leg will strengthen. You WILL get there

D

• Posted

wow. Im only just walking around the house carefully without a walking stick 3 months after surgery.I use a walking frame If im feeling a bit shaky outside.

• Posted

I was walking without aids about 10 or 11 days after THR but that is better than average. I suggest keep using one stick until more confident

• Posted

I have been on crutches for 3 years and I am really scared I want be able to walk without them once I have my op so I totally understand where your coming from, your only 11 days and that's way to soon to even consider chucking them

Remember also that because you have been using them pre op your muscles want be strong enough to really support you so carry-on doing the exercises and I'm sure eventually you will be able to walk fine, as for the limp that will also ease, are your leg lengths OK or like me do you have a discrepancy, mines 1 and a half inches

• Posted

Hi i had same do ne just 12months ago i used crutches for 3 weeks then used a walking stick outside for 2weeks but i also corrected my steps by walking heel then toe for balance and posture this worked for me didne need any aids after this i was very lucky as i had no previous problems with my hip just fell badly off my push bike !!!! And i am fit and returned to work after 6 weeks take things steady at a slow pace i was 63 when i had op best wishes

• Posted

Hi, I was walking with sticks up to 6 weeks, even now at nearly 8 weeks I am using one to walk long distance

• Posted

hi im 4.5 weeks post op for left hip replacement im

off crutches and down to one stick i religiously do the exercises physio gave me the stength in leg gets better each day but i would say get to week 4 and you should start seeing improvement. are yoy keeping mobile ?

• Posted

It takes anywhere from four to nine weeks for most people to walk without an aid. Some take longer, some shorter.

It's really not that predictable ...

• Posted

Hi

You will find that it will all happen, my physiotherapist at the hospital said you will just do it. But as I also found out you will do it when you are all comfortable to. We are different and heal at different rates.

It was till I got to 6 weeks that I felt I could do 1 crutch and used that mire or less for 3 weeks. I have since brought an fold up stick but have only used it a couple of times.

I have a slight limp at times, but as my surgeon said, my muscle is still healing. Try walking at home without crutches first, and then when can go out without aids remember heal to toe. It does work!

Good luck Ann

• Posted

ill be three weeks on wed. I also use one crutch and walk normal when using it. For muscle building and training my new hip to walk I try to use one trekking pole. It makes you work more. I also have an island in the kitchen that I walk around switch right and left hand for support on island ( i had left hip SX) I also try ti balance in just my left leg. These will help train the correct muscles to walk again, but give it time

Tara

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.