Want to ask a anybody

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello I’m 19 had orif surgery 6 week ago was told can put a little bit pressure like 50 % pt with crutches but today after my ankle was kind of swollen with minor pain  want to ask how long will that be happening  and will I be normal again 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Kevin - I dont know about your surgery but I had a grade 3 sprain un Jul'17 and it was not normal until just about now - because I started physio and rehab in Oct.

It feels more normal than it ever has, and I couldbt fully weight bear for really long. In fact now when i walk to much it swells a bit plus minir pain but decreases every few weeks. Take it slow. Be patient. You will be normal but it will take some time - do rehab exercises it helps a lot. Actually its the only thing that helps - its slow as hell but theres nothing better or faster.

So all im here to say is that yes that you will be normal itll just take some time so be patient and take care of it smile

• Posted

I've had 2 surgeries in less than a year on my right ankle. The swelling the first time lasted over 6 months, and it was rather significant. The 2nd surgery was different. The swelling wasn't so noticable and didn't last as long.

It probably depends on what procedures you had done as well.

• Posted

Hi Kevin, my advice is listen to your ankle. If it gets sore/ swollen then you've done too much.

6 weeks is early stages and you will get better...gradually, literally one step at a time!

Keep up short distances of mobilisation and you'll find that each week you can do a bit more.

Most importantly, keep it elevated whenever you're not walking.

All the best.

Lindy

• Posted

Okay was told 2 weeks with 50% pressure then after fully  n thanks for the reply appreciate it 
  • Posted

Hi Kevin

i had ORIF for  trimalleolar fractures 4.5 minths ago. Was in a cast for 6 weeks, then a moonboot for 6 weeks partial weight bearing. Wen i started fully WB the pain was really hard to cope with, every step hurt for weeks. It was only at week 15 that i could actually walk withought too much pain, but only very short walks, like around the house. I have been told the swelling will last for months yet, but it has decreased a lot. Still can't fit my old shoes though! 

I have had physio twice a week for 5 weeks now, which is invaluable. I highly recommend you get some, they will tell you how well you are progressing and give you exercises to do st home.

• Posted

Hi Kevin, I had orif surgery 2 years ago and almost 12 weeks ago I had that same ankle fused. 4 weeks ago my surgeon told me i could start weight bearing, 25% and with each week increase by 25% until I was 100% whilst doing this I still had to wear my air boot. I can now take my boot of and carry on with my walking. At 50% the pain was minimal but I did have a lot of swelling, so I would sit down and elevate my leg, wait for the swelling to go down.  Even now, I’m supposed to be at full weight bearing but parts of the day I have to go back on the crutches for support because it gets a bit sore and I still have some swelling.  Take things easy, listen to your body and don’t try to rush things.  That is what I did on my first surgery, which resulted to the second. This time I’ve listened to my surgeon and done everything I’m supposed to do.  I was also told it could take up to a year for the swelling to settle down. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.