want to change when I take my levothyroxine

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started taking 50 mcg levothryoxine in june of this year. I didnt' have any symptoms it wa found in my blood tests when I had my physical. i put off taking it because of the need to wait to take my other vitamins and such. I take the levothyroxine before I get in the shower in the morning and then because of the waiting to take the others I usually end up forgetting to take my vitamins because taking the levothyroxine has messed up my routine in the mornings. I hate it. So I'm thinking of changing it to take it at night, I have sent an email to my dr to see what she thinks about it. 

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I find it easier taking it at night. I feel better also. Taking it in the morning made me nauseated.  Take it before you go to bed on a empty stomach and when you wake up no worries about waiting to eat or take other supplements. 
  • Posted

I always take my thyroid medication at night.  I take it three hours after food.  It's more convenient than taking it in the morning.  I take my vitamin supplements after lunch.  This has been my usual routine for about thirty years.

• Posted

Hi, the standard advice is to wait 4 hours after eating to ensure your stomach is empty. Taking thyroxine st night is certainly easier to schedule. I too regulaly forget to take other vitamins and minerals, though i am getting better. I take thyroid meds (NDT) at 8am and my vits at 12 with my meal, then more NDT around 4pm and eat around 5pm.. The only problem I found with taking it at night is that it caused me problems trying to sleep because of the boost it gave to my system. Bottom line is just do whatever works for you.
    • Posted

I started taking it at night last night so we'll see what happens. I was taking it at 6:45 am but then I would have to await to take my vitamins which I was in the routine of taking before i went to work. Thats when I decided to research taking it at night. It doesnt' really matter when you take it as long as it on an empty stomach.
    • Posted

The other thing, apart from on an empty stomach, is avoid vitamins and minerals with iron and calcium in, within 4 hours of taking thyroid meds (impairs the body's ability to utilise the thyroid meds).
    • Posted

phenytoin reduces the amount of iodine in the body.

Just thought that I would reiterate that.

Jean

• Posted

What do the instructions on the Patient Information Leaaflet advise re taking this drug?

• Posted

Is there an adjustment period for taking thyroxine at a different time of day?

Also, will thyroxine have a bad interaction with magnesium, vitamin D3 or cod liver oil supplements?

I've had hypothyroidism for 17 years and never explored either of these areas before. 

Thank you

• Posted

You need to take magnesium 4 or more hours away from your thyroxine
    • Posted

Hi sandy, I have never had a problem when I've taken thyroxine at night because I forgot in the morning, I then just took my next tablet in the morning I.e. 10-12 hours later. So I personally don't think you will have a problem. If you are taking T3 that might have an effect as it is the more 'instant energy'.
  • Posted

Hello Sdomo:

I am an RN and live in the USA.  You can take it at night as long as you take it on an empty stomach.  Let your doctor know.   Also get a pill keeper and it will help remind you in case you forget.

Stay well,  Shelly

• Posted

I sent my dr an email over the weekend and she responded on Tuesday saying it was fine with her whatever worked for me. Now I can have breakfast in the mornings and I don't forget to take my vitamins. 

• Posted

Had a 3 month recheck at the end of September. I talked to my dr about the fact that the only number that is way off is my TSH, all other number are in the normal range.  We decided that I will not take the Levothyroxine and we will keep watching my numbers every 3 months. She was perfectly ok with doing that. 

• Posted

HI Sdmomof4:

Okay thanks for the update. If you see any symptoms of low thyroid you can always call the doctor.

Be well,

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.