want to come off effexor and go onto prozac but dr recommends duloxetine...help??!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi folks...i seriously want to get off effexor and possibly move onto prozac which a lot of people say is a good move and has worked for them,,,,,went to my doctors this morning and they are weaning me off effexor by lowering dosage...they then want to put me on duloxetine...which i think is a similiar drug to effexor........does anyone have any advice for me please???......i really dont want to go on something similiar...can i insist on prozac ...has anyone had similiar experience they could advise me on...thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry Leslie, I haven't had a similar experience regarding changing your drugs, however I would be very wary about starting Duloxetine..... If I had known about the difficulties trying to reduce the dosage before starting, I wouldn't have started taking them at all.... What's more worrying is that my GP wasn't aware of how dangerous it is.. Only since I've shown him the research has he taken notice. This is only my own view and hopefully someone can give you a more positive view X keep strong x
    • Posted

thanks so for your reply i dont want to start on them as like effexor they sound awful to get off so feel like i would be in the same boat..i appreciate your input
  • Posted

Hi Lesley, dont let him put ypu on duloxetine. Ot made me tired gave me headaches and trying to get off it is a nightmare. I don't know what else to recommend. Good luck.
    • Posted

thank you for that i dont like the sound of them altogether just confused as what to go for
  • Posted

I was on Prozac for a long time (6 years) and then weaned myself off it slowly but had a relapse another 6 months later! I was then put on Duloxetine and got to a high dose of 120mg then to 60mg and now I'm on 30mg! As I want to stop all antidepressants completely. Warning though...it's an extremely difficult drug to wean off! I struggle and it's not easy at all..Prozac did help me a lot but like most drugs they eventually stop working and then you get all the side effects and none of the benefits. Did your dr advise why they want to try Duloxetine instead of Prozac?
    • Posted

no explanitation i guess it s just cos its the one i havent tried yet but vvery wary......i am asking for prozac as a lot of my friends had a result when swopping from effexor to prozac im just very confused and want to be me again....thanks
    • Posted

Can be confusing indeed! I understand when you say 'I just want to be me again' but we are forever changing and I think you just need to find the right med that works for you but it's a mine field and trial and error. Ask professional which one is best to switch and try it for at least a month to see how you feel..unfortunately there is no quick fix. Keep at it though and things will change
  • Posted

I am on it for muscle pain and also take two medications that were flagged due to complications. I am aware of all the side effects ie, high pulse and bp, headaches but nothing so far.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.