Want to end 20 years on Benzo's

Posted , 3 users are following.

I started taking Xanax under a doctor's care over 20 years ago. I've never taken them on my own, not that my brain cares. 17 years ago the lawsuit from hell began and my dosage started going up, then klonopin was added, then ambien. I have a fairly severe anxiety disorder plus some stressors including the legal thing and losing my vision. My excuse, anyway. My dosage has been the same for about the last 6 or 8 years - four.5mg Xanax daily, three - .5mg klonopin daily, one 5mg Ambien nightly.  After doing some research I believe that due to tolerance I have been experiencing withdrawal for the last year or two, even though I'm still taking it.  My psychiatrist believes I need to be on it for life and has encouraged me to increase dosage.  Good intentions, but...  I was also drinking heavily for the last six months or so of the lawsuit, which ended 5 months ago.

I have drank anything for five months.  Over the last six weeks I have cut down to one klonopin daily (I usually only took two).  I have been breaking the alprazolam pills and am taking about 2/3's of each, still four daily.  I'm having a lot of trouble but I was before as well.  3 to 4 hours of sleep and I wake up in full panic mode. Since beginning the taper the sleep issues and exhaustion have continued plus I'm having tinnitus, weird buzzing feeling in my brain, get very weak and shaky, and noises and smells drive me crazy.  I've an appointment with my Dr. this week. I can't keep going this way.  I know the dosages aren't huge compared to many but perhaps I'm just a wimp.  I have read the Ashton information and it kind of confirms my belief that my symptoms have long been from the drugs.  Thanks and sorry for being so long winded.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Musiclover

You are not a wimp. I was put on ativan for sleep and took it for 2 1/2 years. I went through withdrawls while still on it because my body wanted more. I used the Ashton method, and alot of prayer and support from friends and family to get off of it.

I would read peoples stories on sites like this one and it was such an encouragement to me. The strange symptoms are real.

Good luck on your journey, my prayers go with you

• Posted

I'd switch psychiatrists!! He is a Big Pharma promotor! Try an alternative Dr,,, or someone aligned with a belief in what you CAN do,,,not just a drug promotor! You can do it!!!!

• Posted

No he isn't.  We met and he is fully supportive.  He said he was proud of me for making this choice and admitted that between the lawsuit that destroyed my life, just over a couple of months ago, and losing my vision, he thought I would not be able to.  We've worked out a taper and he said he will support any decisions I make.  He's a good man, very caring.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.