want to start to self cure HS!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi guys I have suffered with HS for 4 years now, my Dr told me there that there is nothing to help apart from losing weight, I'm the first to admit I need to lose a ton of weight so I have lost 2 stone already and will continue to do so but I have not seen a difference so far. I have only seen today that people have found different ways of curing or managing there HS.

I have literally spent the last 4 years thinking I am the only person to have this. I just excepted my fate and go on with it but now I see there is a chance of being pain free! So I'm wondering if others have had success in controlling this awful condition?

I will be trying tumeric and medical grade honey and I am cutting dairy and wheat from my diet to see it it helps.

:-)

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Cutting nightshades and peanuts worked for me! I was in stage 4, tried all other remedies.  If have to be very picky and careful.  Eating out is rare and I have to question all ingredients ahead of time.  But it's worth it to be in remission! Good luck! 
    • Posted

I was just looking at thenightshades and how it effects people with HS, will definitely cut them out. I don't eat out very often any way but if I do I will be super careful.

Do you find your OK with grains and dairy? I suppose its the case of trying every thing, I'm just relieved there are other options!

• Posted

Yes, I am OK with those but it could be different food for people.  The lady I read about it from suggested experimenting by adding whole food groups back to your diet at a time.  When you add one and get inflammation, then you'll know it's a food your HS responds to. Hers was nightshades too though so I cut those first instead of going the long way around and it worked for me! My dermatologist that's helped me for years is very happy for me! Thank God I found this site with the article that gave me my life back! Good luck!  
    • Posted

I think I will try nightshades first too, I do eat a lot of potatoes. Thanks for your help :-)
    • Posted

Even shredded cheese in a bag is coated with potato starch! That tiny bit kept me out of remission for a month before I looked at the ingredients! Who would have thought? It's just cheese, I thought!  Now I shred my own. 

• Posted

I only decided to research further last night and I decided to look through my cupboards and see what has the nightshade veg in and all the other bits and I was amazed, I knew a lot contained it but literally everything I had did..so I had two pork steaks instead!
    • Posted

Even mayo and mustard! Heinz has a mayo that has lemon juice instead of paprika and Walmart has a spicy mustard that doesn't have nightshade spices in it.  Anything that has "food starch" listed could be potato starch so don't take a chance if you don't know what the ingredient is.  Watch for potato flour in breads and pastries.  I make my own salad dressings and BBQ sauce that is nightshade free.  It's hard the first month but you get the hang of it after that! Good luck! Hope you don't have to experiment very long to find your sensitivities! 

• Posted

Oh, I meant to warn you about the turmeric pills.  I tried those one time from GNC and they messed up my stomach.  I think I had an ulcer?? I quit taking them after about 2 weeks and my stomach got better. They were just too much for me but I may have bought too strong of a strength?? 
    • Posted

Its going to take a while to adjust! I'm so use to just go grabbing what I want and making a meal. Oh dear I haven't heard anyone have that trouble before with tumeric, maybe your sensitive to the spice, I've been making my own capsules for the time being and taking two a day.

I'm in the uk and from the country so we don't have the widest range of products but will adjust I suppose.

• Posted

I cut out potatoes and processed food and rarely have probs with HS now. It was fairly mild and decided to move to the hair follicles in my eyelashes (yes really!) but since eating better I've hardly had any lumps. I had a blip whilst on holiday last year and had a couple of sandwiches, pasta and Shreddies and had 'one of my eyes' within a few days. Proves to me that's what the problem is
    • Posted

I think I'm going to see a massive difference to be honest, never dawned on me it could be food! Mine is quiet bad but then so is my diet so maybe it is all down to it
    • Posted

I also had a set back during the holidays when I ate turkey with a spice on it by accident! We were in my Uncle's dimly lit basement and I couldn't see the spice on the turkey.  I had bad HS inflammation by the next morning! 
    • Posted

I've been trying to rethink when they are particularly bad and I know its a lot worse around my time of the month so I think perhaps hormones play quiet a big part so will be interesting to see if food will help with it then. I'm doing a big shop today so I can start the process! Do you find your OK with all fruits?
    • Posted

Mine HS was also worse then.  My doctor said it's because your immune system changes around that time.  She said when you're having flair ups, your body is in overdrive "attacking" those sweat gland openings. Fruit doesn't hurt my HS but it could be different for people. 
    • Posted

Yea it makes sense, I got my first one when I was pregnant and at first they didnt have a clue what it was, sent me off with antibiotics and nasal spray! Now they say its the case of my body wasn't strong enough to fight infection. I can't imagine fruit being a major issue so for now its basic veg, meat and fruit then will see what happens

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.