Want to stop Effexor XR

Posted , 6 users are following.

I started taking it on Monday so it's only been 5 days however I'm not too happy with it. I'm dealing with some a stressful situation right now and wanted to take the edge off. I think I can deal with it on my own. So today I didn't take it. Will I feel any withdrawal symptoms if I do it cold turkey? Or do I need to taper off? I'm only on 37.5 mg. I haven't been to my dr yet to tell him but I really don't like it. My husband took it for a while and didn't like it. Drove him crazy. Hoping someone can help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

At this point no need to taper and you can just stop.
    • Posted

That's what my pharmacist told me. I feel fine today. My mouth is really dry though. Will that eventually go away?

• Posted

Hi Sweet 76. If you are looking for a quick fix then steer clear of Venlafaxine, it takes ages to come out of your system, the side effects are dreadful in most people and they are usually prescribed to people who are resistant to other drugs. If this is not the case then ask your g.p for Citalipram or something that he or she can monitor easily and once your crisis period is easier or resolved then you can look to withdraw.

I have been on Effexor for 10 years and have tried to withdraw without success until now. Thanks to being in touch with people on this forum and some very helpful information, I have now reduced from 187mgs to 37.5. It has taken me nearly 3 months to get here and although I have had some withdrawal symptoms, I remind myself that it is the tablets and not my depression that is making me feel this way.

Doctors don't know all of the information on these drugs, but at least they should know that Venlafaxine does not work in the majority of cases and that they are the most addictive.

You should be o.k after taking them for only five days as they usually take a good two to three months to start taking effect, however we are all different. What might be suitable for one person may have a different reaction in someone else. If the symptoms persist speak to your g.p.

• Posted

Dear Sweet76,

Our minds are all over the place when we're depressed, our decision making skills are affected by the depression, we can be irrational and indecisive. This makes us think we can do it on our own when maybe we can't. I'm only saying this bease I've tried to talk myself out treatments. I've been on antidepressants for years and they've helped me. I am actually reducing now because I'm in a good place. I'm only trying to add a word of caution. It may not have suited your husband bit that doesn't mean it won't help you. Remember it takes 2-4 weeks before you start to feel benefits.

Good luck.

• Posted

Sweet,

Catherine makes some good points. You should look at your entire history of anxiety and reaction to stressful situations. If this is the first time then you could probably just go to therapy and learn coping skills. In the end up to you if you want to stop effexor. I wouldn't stress about any symptoms you might be feeling. Its temporary and will pass

• Posted

This is the first time. Something is going on in my life right now - nothing that I've ever had to deal with before and wish I wasn't dealing with. I just started therapy and I think that will be good for me.

• Posted

Hi Sweet 76 I took Venlafaxine for nearly three yrs it helped me through a depression. The withdrawal was a bit difficult kind of zaps in the head for about three weeks I was on 75mg dose and reduced to 37.5mg to taper off for a month I hope you succeed which ever way you decide
  • Posted

I read through your post and comments. If you have no prior history of depression/anxiety etc AND have not recently given birth (in the last 6-9 months) AND this was prescribed by your GP and not a psychiatrist....fine. You do not need to taper as 37.5 is sub-therapeutic and you have not formed habit yet. You may get some heightened anxiety and agitation (that you probably won't know whether it is attributed to the drug or your situation anyway) and some mild to moderate headaches for a couple of days. Nothing to worry about. Dry mouth should pass in 2-3 days. Keep hydrated (but don't overdo it biggrin and try some warm milk with a touch of honey or chamomile tea for relaxation.

Wishing you to sail through whatever has caused this to you. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.