Want to taper off amitriptyline

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hey first time posting. I have been on 50mg of amitriptyline for anxiety since December 2016! I have decided I would like to taper off as they haven't helped my anxiety and I feel like I have given them enough time. As I don't want to be on meds at all! I have committed to a healthy lifestyle and have seen great improvements in my mental health. My question is can I taper down from 1 50mg tablet at night to 35mg or even 25mg? I didn't suffer strong side effects when starting these pills will that help when tapering off? I feel like carrying on with the 50mg is just prolonging the inevitable and will make harder to come off. My anxiety means I hate going to the drs and can never get appointments anyway! I have lower doses of these pills so don't need a prescription. Just need to know how low to taper. Thanks for any reading if you made it this far.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I’ve been on Elavil / Amitriptyline for about 5 years. I take it for general anxiety and IBS. I have a lot of dreams, wake up in the middle of the night, and have a difficult time waking up in the morning. I’m curious how I would be without medication, but extremely anxious of the side effects coming off this drug. 

Has anyone been successful in stopping usage? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.