Want to try gabapentin - any ideas?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I know this has probably been covered on the forum, but any updates on success with gabapentin?  I think ropinerole is augmenting.  Thanks!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I have been on gabapentin now for a year now with very little success if any I'm up to 2400 now. The ropinerol was causing augmenting so had to go off it. Have they gone over your meds to make sure none of them is making things worse. I had to go off my med for arthritis cymbalta cause its known to make rls worse. My rls improved a little after going off both.
    • Posted

Thank you for your info.  I'm also on codeine - which does help some for "breakthrough" events of rls when the ropinerole doesn't kick in or makes it worse.
    • Posted

thank you for the input on the klonipin. No wonder I eat and have gained 25 pounds in the last 4 years, I will be talking with the Doctor about this.
    • Posted

There is actual data on Klonopin and weight gain beyond increasing appetite - does something else to metabolism/glucose.
  • Posted

I take 1 mg ropinirole 3 times each day and 600 mg of gabapentin at night as well as1 mg of clonazapam at night. I have asked my Dr. why I need to take the gabapentin and he says just keep taking it. It is neurontin which is a drug that works on the nerves and for anxiety. I really don't know it it helps but for now I will continue. I have recently been doin acupuncture one a week but so far do not know if it is helping. they have started me on 1 avocado a day for a month and 2 magnesium tablets at bedtime as well as a chines herb called internal wind which i take 8 three time a day. I am waiting to see if it helps and will report later.

A little background. I am 76 and my rls started after knee replacement in 2010 and 2011 gradually getting worse. And yes the Ropinirole did augment and had to be cut back. And as a side note, I had a sciattica attack a couple of months ago which required 2 epidurals and amazingly after the epidurals I had no rls for one week, but it came back. So good luck on this crazy disease. I do know that I must take my ropinirole exactly on time or I retret it.

• Posted

That's right - if I don't take the ropinerole right on the dot - I suffer!  I have codeine as a backup.  Same effect as epidurals for pain - my neurologist has no problem giving me plain codeine (no Tylenol in the mix).  Klonopin does nothing for me - except make me eat like crazy!!  I'm going to try cucurmin (turmeric essence), even though I'm not much of a supplement person.  Doesn't hurt to try.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.