Wanting to get back into exercise

Posted , 5 users are following.

hey I'm wanting to get back into exercise but it's hard when u have bad anxiety symptoms like heart race and feeling like can't breath any tips thx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lee,

I have had a real problem getting back in the gym, but I am back in today and looking forward to it. I was in the gym 5/6 times per week until 12 months ago when anxiety hit me and I havent had the courage to do anything active out of fear that I could have a physical health problem ever since.

I would suggest that you tell yourself that you are going to take it easy for the first few weeks and dont set your targets too high. See if you can get a HR monitor so that you can keep in your HR training zone. Can you exercise with a friend? I am going to the gym with a friend today, that way I know that I wont find an excuse not to go and I will have someone there with me in case I feel too anxious. Also, stay hydrated, eat right before and after and just take it easy. Let me know how you get on and good luck!

• Posted

Hi, i was going to post exactly the same thing. Yesterday i went for a walk and i ended up feeling better and slept like a baby. I am considering going back to the gym since i used to lift and all that stuff. But i have an appointment with my doctor tomorow i will ask him if i can at least start with aerobics such as walking, bike or maybe jogging. It is nice to get to know people and do some chatting, in my opinion i think working out is a way to get out of the house and give our minds a break. Always ask your doctor and always know your limits. Do not push it too hard.
  • Posted

I know how you feel...I'm a personal trainer...and my anxiety has been so bad I haven't been in a gym in almost 2 months...the last time I was in the gym I started having weird heart palpitations...it didn't hurt but it seemed like it was skipping a beat almost it was strange...so I can understand where your coming...from a trainers perspective...I would just say start off slow..I'm not really sure what type of training you do or anything like that...but if you have taken a significant amount of time off ease into it....also one of the most important things is to make sure your eating properly...your diet plays a big part in helping with some of the anxiety symptoms we will deal...and as great as exercise is if we don't eat properly we do more damage to our body's than good and that can make symptoms worse....i hope this helps if you have any more questions I'll be glad to answer
  • Posted

I have that same fear myself about exercising due to my anxieties and the fast heart rate and the feeling like you can't breath. 

It scares me when my anxieties are acting up and my heart is racing over 100 around 115 or 120 it makes me feel weak and it makes me feel like I am going to pass out and then when i want to exercise i just walk i don't do the vigorus exercise that raises the heart rate and thats how we burn the calories but how can we exercise when we our anxieties raise our heart rate because it will just make our heart pound faster if we are having anxieties and exercising 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.