Wanting to know why, steroids

Posted , 14 users are following.

HI everyone, I have been wondering and probably should know but don't, why we take steroids for PMR?

What do they do? I know they stop inflammation, but how?

also the fact that the adrenal glands stop working while on steroids, Is this why they are taken and why do they need to stop working or is that just a side effect of steroids?

I started wondering while at the chemist waiting for a pescription and saw a supplement for adrenal support, should we take that as it seems that the slow tapering is because of the adrenals coming back to work, then shouldn't we help them? and thus be able to taper faster?

so many questions, I don't blame anyone if they don't have the time to answer.

thanks for all your help so far

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, Margot

Autoimmune diseases happen when our own immune system attacks our healthy joints, thinking  they’re foreign and must be destroyed.  Steroids suppress the immune system which stops the ongoing attack.  The only other way to stop the attack is biological medicine like Humera, which is cadaver cells injected. Immediately the immune system detects the foreign cells and runs to attack them; leaving healthy joints alone.

• Posted

Can I dispute two things you say? One is that pMR does not involve joints in the same way many a/i disorders do. There is no joint damage in PMR.

The other your statement that Humira is "cadaver cells". It is not, it is an antibody - that is far frm the same thing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.