Wanting to take things further

Posted , 5 users are following.

I made a post earlier about most of my problems but i forgot to add something which i think deserves a post of its own.

For those who have suffered with depression; has anyone had feelings of severe self harm just so someone will listen to you, does anyone else feel trapped and a strong need to take things further in order to feel something will be done.

i'm emotionally exhausted and fed up of feeling like no one understands or is taking me serious enough to help. My doctor won't accept i have depression - despite my long term therapist telling her - and won't perscribe me anti d's.

its not as though i will act on these thoughts, but what if one day i go to far... i can't bring myself to tell my parents cause they'll just cry and i'll feel guilty. 

thanks

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think you need to change your Dr if your therapist is telling her then she really should listen and if you feel that low then you need to tell someone I know it's hard I was in denial for almost a year to the point that my go prescribe ads months ago but I was certain I didn't need them so didn't take them but I have chatted to my mom and dad who both suffer depression and have finally started taking them 3 days ago so far just heightened my anxiety but I'm told you have to get worse before they kick in good luck if you can't talk to anyone this forum helps a lot as everyone is in the same boat it's good to know your not alone xxxxxjojo
  • Posted

Hi, you definitely SHOULD talk to your parents and I'll bet that they won't react half as bad as you are imagining but will feel so glad that you felt able to turn to them. My daughter has suffered depression going through college and when she did eventually break down and open up to me she wished she had done it months before. She was worried about hurting me but instead found mutual support. Give them a chance to help you it is what they would want and they will probably be so sad to think of you going through this and feeling unable to talk to them. This is better than hurting yourself you don't need to do this to get help.

Be assured you have absolutely NOTHING to feel guilty about, guilt is a destructive emotion which often raises it's ugly head when someone is depressed, know this - you are and always have done the best you can and that's all anyone can ever ask. Hugs

• Posted

Sorry, i am not familiar with the health system in the UK (I am in Australia). Can you not go to another GP for a second opinion since your current one is not heeding your therapist? My step-daughter has depression and we found out when she messaged all her friends on Facebook (we are her friends on Facebook) when she asked everyone to be patient with her if she was not herself and said she needed their help to be with her so she was not alone. Finding out on Facebook was better actually, than face to face as we didnt fee the need to immediately try to come up with (probably unhelpful) solutions and we talked it over then just sms's her with a message of support. She said  she had to see a psychiatrist  which made her feel creepy but it was just to get the right medication because a therapist cant prescribe and a GP does not usually know which ones are right for you. (that might be why the GP does not want to prescribe for you)Maybe your therapist can arrange just one appointment with a psychiatrist to get the medication to help you. Please keep in touch through this forum. There are people here who can understand and help support you. i also agree with JoJo that you need to find a way to tell your parents. They may be able to convince someone to get some medication to make things a bit easier.
  • Posted

Please get more help -  keep on at your GP for anti-depressants.  There may be a reason why he does not want you to have them. Ask him why he won't give them to you.  At the end of the day I think YOU are the only one who can sort out your life (with of course help from parents and your therapist) tablets are not a long term remedy.  Finding the reason why you feel the way you feel is the MOST important thing. People who care are listening to you on this forum, remember that.  You are here for a reason, don't throw your life or your well being.  I have found helping someone else, helps me forget about my troubles.

• Posted

Agree with jojo

The Doc may be protecting themselves from some legal stuff if they DO prescribe something.

find someone more positive and courageous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.