warfarin

Posted , 20 users are following.

I have just been on warfarin for 6 months for a left femoral dvt,during the prescribing phase no information was given to me,and I am shocked to find out myslef after having an episode were my vision went very weird with associated vomiting for 5 hours that warfarin is a neurotoxin and can in some cause brain damage.wouldnt you think someone would give me that information at the start.prior to the above episode i had experience short burst periods of dizzyness,and profound lack of clarity of thought. considering the seriousness of this drug wouldnt you think more information would be available to the taker of the drug other than the scant information on the drug information lealflets coming with the drug.I am profoundly angry as the lack of the more serious side effects to this drug not being given to me in order that i might make informed choices at the start.i have stopped the drug myself and informed my doctor of this.

1 like, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Bowman

Can I ask what your husband is on the warfarin for ? There are newer anticoagulants on the market which cover some of the indications warfarin has and avoid the need for INR monitoring.

Tarun

• Posted

Supposed lung clots. I say supposed as he was mixed up in hospital with another patient with the same surname.

We have been trying to get his CT scans, via the ombudsman,  for two years!

• Posted

He was told he had multiple blood clots in his lungs, but as he was mixed up with another patient with the same surname while in hospital, we are still trying to find out if he did have these. He caught a virus from me which went to his lungs, which is why he was in hospital in May 2012

The hospital has taken over 15 months to not reply to any correspondence both from us and the ombudsman!

We have had so many conflicting explanations from GPs and warfarin technicians we are now totally confused. As said in an earlier post, he is frightened to take it and frightened not to.

He had bowel cancer in 2009 in which about 9inches of large colon was successfully removed. He has had regular CT scans since then. The last one was in December 2012 and showed his lungs clear of any problems, residue, scarring etc. We still can't get anyone to look at this scan against the ones taken in May to tell us if they are even the same person!

A Doctor we met on holiday in August last year told us that if it was multiple blood clots he would still be in hospital, not camping in a field!!

• Posted

well since i was on here last my dosage is now 32mg. i am also finding it hard to walk long distances now without a walking stick to help me because of the pain and swelling in my knee area. I have been to physio

over the last 3 months and i feel that it really hasn't helped me

• Posted

lisa219

32mg a day? That sounds like a massive dose. I've been on warfarin since 2008 due to Factor V Leiden and my Coagulation Clinic told me a normal maintenance dose was between 2 and 10mg a day.

Can you get a second medical opinion? If your INR is 1 and you're on 32mg then there's something wrong as it's not having any affect at all.

And, until you've sorted the blood out, it may be a good idea to drop the physio. You may be doing more harm than good.

• Posted

I have been on Warfarin for four years following a stroke ,I have never felt right since being put on them.i was put on them because I suffered a dvt after my stroke since then my inr has fluctuated all the time ,i also have permenately swollen leg i also have dizzy turns unsteadiness and memory problems and head pain .is there anything i might be able to get prescibed for as my quality of life is terrible
  • Posted

We discovered via scan 3 clots in my leg this week, I am now on heparin and warfarin for life (I had a previous clot in same leg in 92.

I have a complex medical history, a number of Ischaemic strokes, tachycardia, high bp, underactive thyroid, ehlers danlos syndrome, oh and I happen to have bi polar and generalised anxiety.

Until yesterday, I had acute pain in my leg (the ONLY symptom), yesterday and today, I have slobbed around because I feel just, well, unwell,but the pain has gone away completely. I haven't even dressed today. Does that ring bells with anyone?

Clearly I am pleased that the pain is gone (it was so bad I was in tears), but to go from agony to nothing does seem odd or was the pain before because I was out and about (my husbands life challenge at the moment is for me to have a walk every day!)

Anyway, does anyone else feel like me? I am so tired.

• Posted

dear sally iI am sorry to hear about your problems ,I myself felt the exact same as yourself

as before my stroke I was a very active man ,i was a postman and golfer these are now gone.I also felt the same as you are feeling now but I now go out every day for a walk weather permiting and I started taking manuka honey and one goji berry pill per I now feel much more full of life hope this might help you

• Posted

Hi David

Thank you, I had been going out for a walk every day.......my hubbies project.....he seems to think I am going to get better if I walk every day, don't mind really as it's a time when we can wander and natter hand in hand!

He dragged me round on Thursday, and the pain was so bad I was in tears, and even he recognised I needed a quiet day. I have to go back to hospital on Monday and will ask if the pain is a result of walking and I need to rest the leg......

I think some of my downess is the bi-polar, and a bit of me is incredibly relieved that we have s GP who doesn't ignore everything physical on the grounds on it being all in the mind! ( went to my old GP with pain in my wrist, really bad pain but he basically put it down as psychosomatic, and told me to use it and take paracetamol......I might just as well have put vanishing cream on it.......i had a fracture! Sadly with my diagnosis some GP's just assume everything is in the head.lol)

Thank you for responding it makes s difference to know that someone cares!

• Posted

Dear colleagues

I am on Warfarin since Sept 30, 2013, after a THrombosis in my left femural vein, with pulmonary embolism. In 2012 i had extreme fadigue and pain in my plantar feet and calves. IIn Feb 2013 i have had two thrombophlebytis in my right arm. After Warfarin i had also pain in my shoulders and other joints. Fortunately, i can control the INR with coagucheck, no need of prescription for strips (i lived in UK for a whike and know how strict NHS rulesow i am striving to research the causes for the multiple hypercoagulayion events, generalised pain and fatigue. I consulted the best MD doctors in every epertize area of my University, as i am a professor.

• Posted

After reading your comment on Warfarin I have have to agree with what have said. I have had two femeral bloodclots in my left leg and am currently recovering on Warfarin and had tinzaparin injections daily for about two months or so. All I was told was that warfarin stops the clotting of my blood and not to eat spinach or broccali and dont drink cranberry juice.

I have had a lot of bad symptoms this time i.e. exreme tiredness, dizzyness, memory loss and lack of clarity, joint aches and swelling, and major regular mood swings   none of these things were highlighted at the start BUT I will still be taking the warfarin as its too big a risk not too.  

I have have just seen a haemotologist after nagging my doctor and it seems as though stopping warfarin is basically a very bad move if you have had any other DVT's as its a life lottery and your playing with yours as the stakes....

It also seems as though people are told that warfarin and tinzaparin break clots down to prevent clots forming this isnt true apparently as blood clots once formed stay in the vein forever as scar tissue but the water levels in the blood change with the drugs given.

• Posted

I had an e-mail inviting me to comment then saw it was from over a year ago . A lot can happen since then ,why did I get the notification ?
  • Posted

Warfarin (Coumadin) is a very nasty drug. Yes, it causes dizziness & headaches and memory loss.  My Mother is 95 yrs. old, she has been on Warfarin (coumadin) for 10 years.  She had dizziness & headaches and sick to her stomach.  Make sure if you are vomitting have them put you on Sucralfate & Protonixs that will help you from getting sick to your stomach.  And if you have any joint pains get from Amazon called, Turmeric pills.   My cousin was on Warfarin (Coumadin) for 4 months her memory came back.  They only found a blood clot in her leg.  Where with my Mother in 2007, when they scan her stomach found she had a stomach ulcer.  Some how the cam did not exit out it went back up into her left lung causing major blood clot & one in her leg, too.  That is why she was on for 10 years.  Her red blood cells started to drop they had to give her blood transfusion.  Now she can be on a normal diet and I have seen her memory starting to come back little by little.  We don't know if it will come back altogether or not.  She is making progress.   If you are on Warfarin (Coumadin) do the home testing unless you are only on it for 4 months then you will need to have it.  My Dad was on Warfarin (Coumadin) back in 1995 before they started doing regular testing.  He died in 1998 from Renal.  It can be done just make sure you are very careful using this drug stay in the testing zone of 2.0 - 3.0.  And you have to watch your diet.  Go on Alere. com they have called find vitamin K.  Anyone can use this site.  Go on Amazon and look-up for Vitamins without K in them.  They have several vitamins you can take that have no vitamin K in them.  Do not buy the energizer breakfast bars have tons of vitamin K in them.  Good Luck using Warfarin (Coumadin)!

• Posted

Hi

Worried you have stopped taking warfarin you need to. E wee ed off it. I am taking Rivaroxaban after having a PE post hip surgery. It's more expensive than warfarin so many doctors and hospitals won't prescribe. You only take one pill per day and none of the messing about as with warfarin. My husband was on warfarin before he had cardio version and it was a nightmare to get the INR levels stable. He is now on Rivaoxaban and has never looked back. Please see your doctor asap and push for the alternative. You must have something or you are putting yourself at risk you don't want another clot!

Good luck Julie

• Posted

You don't need to be 'weened off' warfarin...just stop taking and go on to something else.

My husband had terrible side effects with warfarin and is now on Apixaban.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.