warfarin

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, my hubby has started taking warfarin ( he has arrhythmia ) . Now after shaving he has problem with bleeding - I have started to be afraid of his life now ( car accident etc. ). Please tell me if he can apply for disability, if he will take that medicine for longer.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

He cant apply for disability as if his warfarin levels are satisfactory, he is better to have nce thin blood and anoccasional cut from shaving than allowing his blood to pool in his heart and clot ( I presume he has atrial fibrillation). Many pateints are on warfarin and its does a good job but he does need regular bllods taken so levels are right. When taking antibiotics he will need his blood levels taken more often as these can affect levels. However wilst on warfarin he will alwasy brue and bleed more esily than when he wasnt on it, so extra care needs to be taken x
  • Posted

I mostly use an electric razor but once a week have a wet shave. My skin cuts quite easily but any cuts have not bled for long.

I went for yet another ECG recently and the lady doing it had to shave some hair off my chest, She cut me and that one still bled when I took the plaster of the next morning.

Some jobs with a risk of accident are deemed not suitable for warfarin patients but most are OK.  What does you husband do?

• Posted

If your husband has only just started on Warfarin, it may be that he hasn't stabilised yet so the dose he takes may alter. I don't think there is any chance he would be eligible for disability benefit; if managed properly, the risk from taking Warfarin is far less than the risk of stroke from clots, and the occasional cut won't hurt. I recently had cataract surgery and didn't even have to stop taking the Warfarin (which I, too, take for arrythmia and AF), so try not to worry too much about possible bleeding.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.