Warfarin after PE - can it be discontinued?

Posted , 3 users are following.

having had one dvt 12 years ago on an aircraft, nothing for seven years, then just after spinal,surgery bilateral PE I  was put on warfarin. No further incidences.  I do not like being on this drug, i have no energy and depressed.  I have tried the newer anticoagulents and had side effects, so back on warfarin.

Does anyone have any idea if it is possible after four years to come off this?  Most people at the anticoagulent clinic have a.fib, i do not.  Would it be too risky?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My husband had all sorts of problems on warfarin...he also had PEs. He has been told to never stop taking the anticoagulant he is no on.

Have you tried Apixaban? My husband tried Riveroxiban , but the side effects were worse than the warfarin, so he is now on Apixaban.

There are other ones though...clopidogerall is one that my mum was on...rarely given as expensive!

• Posted

Yes they've tried three different ones, all no good for me.  I wonder how much of a chance there is just stopping warfarin, no clots for four years.

• Posted

He hasn't had any for seven...but still told to take forever...you'll need to speak to your consultant, not GP.

• Posted

Thanks, as i suspected, no let up from this drug.  Consultant only offered to try new ones which were unsuitable.  I guess its rat poison for everyone then
  • Posted

I had bilateral pes last november and there not 100 % on where it came from but i came off blood thinners in may.
    • Posted

Were you on warfarin or one of the new thinners?  Did you feel better once off the thinners, or did it make no difference?  Any other comments
  • Posted

I was.on apixaban. Sometimes i wish i was still on because im scared . Of getting another one. The only side effect i think i had was bad chest and back pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.