Warfarin for life user needs Hip Replacement Surgery.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All,

I  am new on here and hoping for some advice.I have to stop my warfarin 5 days before my surgery and self inject TInzaparin(HEPARIN) ON each of the last two days before my surgery. the Dr prescribed 10,000units plus 4500units for each day. The hospital pharmacy have gven me 4 syringes(2X10,000units and 2X 4500units). Forgive me if i appear to be a bit thick, but I a anxious to get it right. So - do I have  to inject one of each dose on each of the lst two days before mu Op?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there Robert,

I had to inject inject myself with those tinzaparin injections for 2 months after I had my second bloodclot in 7 years around Christmas time and I too am on warfarin for life. From reading what your doctors said I would think it would be one of each per day but if your unsure best advice is to contact your doctor. Also, best to inject into your stomach you don't really feel it there. Hope ive been some help.

regards

Rob

• Posted

Yes, one of each on each of the two days; so that you're injecting 14,500 per day for the two days prior to your op. But if you still feel anxious, contact your doctor. All the best with your surgery.
  • Posted

Hi Robert, 

I am on Warfarin for a lifetime. Warfarin remains in our bodies for about four days after stopping it. However, two days after stopping Warfarin, the levels are unsafe and you need to start taking Heparin. We need to be very careful while making transitions from/to Warfarin. When you start taking Warfarin again there is also a delay of around 4-6 days until your coagulation time reaches the proper levels. I believe you should be using Heparin during this delaying time in transition from Heparin to Warfarin, after surgery. Doctors will surely prescribe it in Hospital. 

• Posted

hi robert

dont know were your are but in the uk the injection comes already made up in the srynge also it gose on your body weight and it as to be started 4 days before your op i am on wafrin for life and just had my hip replaced but our dr wont let you give it to yourself its to be done by a nurse from the surgery ours is the old claxetine by the way.i also am on asprin too so both was stopped 4 days before not five when you have had the op you are put back on it they do a blood test first then get your inr results first i was put back on mine 2 days later.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.