Warfarin side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have been on warfarin for nearly five years due to massive PE no obvious cause in this time I have gained three stone in weight I eat healthy exercise don't drink or smoke so am positive this is due to warfarin . I am seeing my Gp in two weeks to try and stop warfarin but been told I must take an alternative anyone out there to give me any advice as to which new anti coagulant is best 

thank you

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Eliquis also known as apixaban was ok. Why must you stay on it? Mine was unprovoked they think but they took me off after 6 months when the clots went away. Im du for another ct in August for a follow up.
    • Posted

Just been told due to the massive pe that is unexplained I am to stay on lifelong but weight gain is getting me down so on advice by haematology consultant been told I can stop warfarin but need alternative ! ?
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm new to this so my knowledge is limited, I was diagnosed as having multiple clots in both lungs, I believe they call them pulmonary embolis ?  in cases where more than one is involved, by that I mean each clot is called / classed as an embolis. I was told when diagnosed that warafin was the best drug to treat PE but a lot of doctors prescribe the newer drugs for their ease of use, cost ( I believe due to needing regular blood tests on warafin ? ) and no dietary changes needed for the newer drugs, NOAC's I think the class / group of medication is called.

I have been told there is other treatments available but they depend on the type and severity, the other alternatives that I am aware of is Clexane and in the NOAC family there is about 4 of them but I only know 3 of them, they are Xarelto (Za-rel-to) , Apixiban and Predaxa. hope my limited knowledge has helped somewhat .

• Posted

Hi Tracy,

Like you they found a massive PE ( saddle in in my case) and due to the size and no obvious cause you will most probably be on blood thinners for the rest of your life as this was what I was told , due to the size etc.. where as a lot of people only have to take blood thinners for approx 6 months.

I'm on Rivaroxaban, which they start you on 15mg twice a day for two/three weeks, then you are on a single dose of 20mg a day,

You don't need constant check ups but like other blood thinners the main side affect is internal bleeding.

I find I don't get any side affects, not even the easy bruises, I was warned about.

Hopefully you find the right blood thinner for you.

I know you posted a couple of months ago but thought I would mention my blood thinner just incase you haven't found one that suits you better.

Warmest wishes 🌺

• Posted

Thank you Elizabeth and yes looks like I will be on blood thinners for life I have just been switched to apixaban no side effects at all so hoping this works better I know you don't have to have blood tests etc would be interesting to know if they work as good as warfarin but at the minute just having to think doubly hard to remember to take the morning one haha 

Thank you for the reply hope you are keeping well too xxxx

• Posted

Hi Tracey,

I'm so glad you have found a blood thinner that is working for you and without any side effects.

Hope everything is coming together for you now.

Warmest wishes 

Liz 🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.