warfarinand vitamin k2.

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been told that i need to be on Warfarin by my Consultant. Thats well enough but I take Vitamin K2 Mk7, I know that I need to limit my intake of Green Veg' because of the Vitamin K. What I need to know is it still possible to continue to take the K2-MK7? I feel that I cant ask the Doctor because, well like most Doctors they dont like to think you might know a little more than them.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Unless you have a GP like mine and she welcomes any research or information I can provide. Why do you think you need to limit your green veggies? Leafy greens also provide some calcium for you. Vitamin K2 does not interfere with your diet which is best to consist of quality vitamins and minerals contained in a balanced diet.

Sugar is best to avoid as it is empty calories and does not help your body.

So long as you are taking a normal amount of vitamin K2 there should not be a problem. Another good person to ask is your chemist. 

I take 160 mcg of vitamin K2 and do not consider it interferes with any of my meds.

• Posted

My understanding is that while K2 does interfere with warfarin type medications it is not as serious as K1.  However you really do need to talk to your pharmacist.  There are newer anticoagulants which are not affected by Vitamin K so you could ask about those as well.  It is K1 which you are getting from your leafy greens.  Dietary sources of K2 are rather few and far between these days but if you can get grass fed animal products (meat, dairy) then you will be sourcing Vitamin K2.  W also make a little of our own (converting K1 to K2) but I don't think we are very efficient at it.  Eating fermented foods like yoghurt, kefir and fermented vegetables (sauerkraut being the best known but there are many others) may help the body produce K2.

• Posted

I tried to post a reputable website that discussed vitamin K and warfarin but it is being moderated.

The bottom line..the answer was no. Vitamin K does not interfere with warfarin.

The leafy greens are such a good food that it would be a shame to remove them from your diet.

• Posted

Yep, probably the same site you found.  I was interested in that, too.  Sounds like the fear of too much Vitamin K with warfarin may have been overstated all these years.  But the site does emphasize that one should not drastically alter one's consumption of leafy greens, either increasing or decreasing, but maintain a steady intake.  I suppose the same would be true of Vitamin K2 supplements?

• Posted

Leafy greens are a good source of calcium for people who are dairy free like my husband. People do not eat enough fruit and vegetables according to statistics. We make lots of soups and stews to maximise vegetables and include up to ten different vegetables. Lunch always includes salad vegetables. 

At the moment in Australia we have mangoes and stone fruit and water melons and even cherries so it is a wonderful time of the year for fruit. In the southern part of Australia we strawberries as well.

It is not hard to have sufficient fruit and vegetables so I wonder why people do not!

• Posted

Somewhere in my readings over the past few years I found comment that we actually absorb calcium better from plant sources than the much vaunted dairy, for example (provided it's not a green which has something like phytic acid to interfere with that absorption).  By the same token iron is better absorbed from animal sources.  So really we should all be eating a balanced diet with moderation in all things.

• Posted

Protein is important too as a lack affects muscle strength. My sister said she has been remiss and has been told that she must increase her protein in her diet. 

It is hard to fit it all into the diet and specially if you have to watch your calories as I do but I think I am doing a pretty good job and mainly due to having soups and stews. With summer now here in Australia we will go to salads to accompany barbecue food.

Maybe we need to set up another foods and supplements post but when I have done so in the past not many people contributed.

• Posted

My daughter, a dietitian, told me when my blood sugar spiked after I started prednisone, that I should eat protein whenever I consumed carbohydrates.  I did pretty much give up most grains, sugar and other carbs like potatoes and it's all helped.  Eat a nice high protein rather than high carb breakfast these days.  confused  

We eat a lot of salad (based on kale) in the summer, and in the winter roasted vegetables and soups.  

• Posted

Protein helps you absorb the vitamins in your food as well. 

It is all about balance. It is also individual as different things affect different people.

You get to know what agrees with you and what makes you feel your best.

I have a daughter who cannot eat a lot of things so she does not remove sugar whereas sugar is definitely off my list of foods.

She is not eating sugar all the time of course but she does not have to avoid it which is good for her because her list of things she cannot have is long.

Another daughter chooses high fat but no grains, carbs, or wheat. She has no food allergies just thinks carbs are evil lol.

I believe in the balanced diet because the extremes are to my way of thinking unwise. 

• Posted

Mine was clot care which you could probably find using those two words.

• Posted

You are right  Anhaga. The main thing is to have regular amounts of vitamin K. I imagine it would be easy enough to get into a routine of having a certain amount in your diet every day. 

My source did state no to removing this vitamin from your diet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.