Warning: Check the Expiration Date on your Urinalysis Strips

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have a 10 parameter urinalysis test strip kit that I use from time to time to check my urine - especially since I CIC daily. I purchased it on amazon for about $15.00 On the weekend I was horrified to see the color for ketones and for urobillinogen go off the scales! When I looked it up on the internet to understand these readings it seemed I had severe liver disease AND diabetes! I saw my doctor today who pointed out the strips had expired a year ago!! Also, the box warns that once the container with the strips has opened and exposed to air, then all the strips should be discarded after 90 days!! Mine had been opened for 18 months!! He still ran a liver enzyme and creatinine test on me just to be sure but I was really embarrassed. So check your dates!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks Howard. I have been doing CIC for 22 months, and I haven't had a urinalysis since I started. I also haven't had any issues. I did mention it to my uro at my last visit, and he didn't think it was important. He said I would know if I had an infection. I did look at my local Walmart, as I thought I read they sold test strips. I didn't find any on the shelves, so it slipped my mind. It is good to know they are available on Amazon.

• Posted

Actually you really can have a UTI and not know it! I had one a few weeks without the usual symptoms of burning and frequent urination but my little test strip said I may have one. When I took my pee sample in i was really surprised that it tested positive for enterrococcus which was resolved with 3 days of amoxicilin. This was my 3rd UTI in 3 years.

• Posted

Actually, my uro said that anyone doing CIC is likely to have something show up on a urine test, but that doesn't mean it is anything to be concerned with and that there will usually be other symptoms.

• Posted

That is a good point and one that jimjames always made as well.

• Posted

i registered just to thank you for your post, because exact same thing happen to me.. my side been hurting for a few weeks.. i remembered i had urine strips.. i tried it today and the uro and ketones levels were the highest it can be.. i got a little nervous i was gonna go to the ER first thing tomorrow. then i realized i had the strips for almost 2 years maybe. so i searched the internet on how long they last and i found your post, and it relieved a lot of stress thank you.. i'm still going to the doctor tomorrow but now i don't have to tell him about the urine strips.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.