Warning for anyone with spacer

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 8 months I just had the proveledge of getting another spacer installed and a wash out.  I was scheduled to get the revision next week now I'm back at day 1. I came up with a yeast infection called candida. I can't think of anything I did wrong to cause this. I read that the number one cause of this is broad spectrum antibiotics killing the good bacteria in your stomach that keeps the yeast in check. Without the healthy bacteria it ha the ability to cause inflammation and enter your blood stream. In turn landing on my favorite hip joint. I wonder if it could have been prevented If my doctor had used a probiotic as well. They are shocked as I am that this happened and said they don't know why it could have been anything. Which is true as well. But I feel like this was the most likely scenario after doing some research. They probably don't want to tell me that it could have been prevented. But I just want to pass along the knowledge to anyone else who has been fighting infection on antibiotics a long time. To beware

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Matt,

Your explianation is absolutely spot on! In all my thr surgeries I always ask for Diflucan to be given at the first onset of IV antibiotics given during surgery. Diflucan prevents the yeast from taking over the gut while stopping oral thrush & yeast infections.

I'm sorry this happened to you. More doctors should be aware of this and this is quite common. Very hard to have to suffer the consequences when a Diflucan could have prevented the whole issue. Also for a year or two after thr any dental appts antiobiotics is necessary and I always insist on a script for Diflucan. 

Peace and healing.

• Posted

Matthew - Isn't that interesting, something that I have always done is hit the yoghurt as soon as I can after surgery, have always done this since appendix surgery in my 30's, am now 66, so many years since a Dr told me to do exactly that, I didn't even like yoghurt, and told him so, his reply was do it unless you want an infection.  Have since had surgery for endometrial cancer, breast cancer (very early), and both hips replaced, knee coming up which I am not looking forward to, and I have learned to like yoghurt the ones with all the good bacteria, because I believe that Dr was correct, unfortunately as you have found out, and not all Dr's seem to tell their patients, maybe I just got lucky.

• Posted

My PCP whom i trust whole-heartedly said have 2 yogurts a day or a probiotic. He said they are close to being the same thing.
    • Posted

I totally agree yogurt is great eat a couple every day. fermented foods also good like Fermented vegetables (kimchi, sauerkraut, carrots, green beans, beets, lacto-fermented pickles, traditional cured Greek olives) Fermented soybeans (miso, natto, tempeh) Cultured dairy products (buttermilk, yogurt, kefir, cheese)This also helps with oral thrush .

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate . I can't complain after reading all that you have been thru. Ur a survivor and someone I would want on my team any day!

• Posted

Oh i just believe you had to go thru that again! Do you go to a rehab after? Do you have a Pic line? I was using Vancomycin for an antibiotic thry iv. Two years aho i got CDiff because my antibiotics erte killing the good bacteris ad well. The hosp put me on probiotics but i have been taking them faithfully since i had the CDiff. I wish you well.
    • Posted

I don't know the plan yet Brenda. I just had surgery last night and the culture just started to grow yesterday. They believe they know what it is but they have to wait the 5 days before making a final evaluation. My ID doc said that it looks like an strain of candida that responds well to treatment they think. I might b able to take oral antibiotics. So I'm just sitting here waiting for the plan.

• Posted

I do eat a good amount of yogurt guys probably 4 or 5 days a week. So maybe that's not what happened. But I find it funny not one doctor at this hospital has mentioned probiotics or yogurt yet. In Amy of these discussions grrrrrr

• Posted

It is critical to take one Diflucan with the fist pill of antibiotics , if IV antiobiotics then the doctor will adjust initial dose for surgery. One pill and only one at the beginning of taking antiobiotics.Then the gut is protected from yeast overgrowth. Once candidiasis has grown in the gut it's usually tougher to eliminate. 

Yogurt will not help thrush or yeast infections if on antiobiotics without Diflucan. Yogurt is just a daily health precaution to maintain gut health.

• Posted

I'm starting a 30 day paleo meal plan when I get discharged. Ordering as healthy as I can while I'm here and you can be sure yogurt coming with every meal.  Other things in life like work and being in my brothers wedding are going to have to take a back seat I guess. Thought I was doing everything right but must not have been good enough. Got to keep trying I don't have any other options. Thanks for the encouragement guys 

• Posted

Hi Matthew, I was on antibiotics for 10 days post operation. They always upset my stomach and give rise to those opportunistic infections. So as soon as I start with the antibiotics, I increase my probiotics intake via live yogurt culture, cut sugar and breads all together and eat lots of veggies, fermented foods , garlic, ginger and hot spices. No pop, no juices full of sugar, homemade cranberry juice and slowly everything goes back to normal. I did catch an infection during one of my hip surgeries but not for a replacement and had to get a pic line and antibiotics for 6 months. I was so worried with the hip replacement that I was eating lots of garlic pro surgery toll they told me to stop because it affects coagulation. After I finished the heparin, I went back to it and will continue since it has many benefits, specially to increase white blood cells. Best of luck.
  • Posted

Finally had reimplantation done yesterday. Leaving the hospital tomorow. It’s been a long year April 28th last year I went to the hospital with infection. Just praying nothing goes wrong with my pt. I’m on partial weight bearing for 4 weeks at least because it’s been so long with me not putting weight on the left leg. Woohoo tho. Felt like I might never get my hip back. I had 3 different antibiotic spacers this past year. 
  • Posted

I had my hip done 9 mos ago then got an infection at 6 wks. Had I & D twice. My cement spacer put me in wheelchair for 3 1/2 mos. I cannot imagine having 3! I am now 10 weeks post op. I feel wonderful but every time i feel ill i worry that i am getting another infection. Good luck to you. Now comes the easy part.

• Posted

I just realised who you were. I was wondering how you were doing. We've had conversations on here before. Was your surgery at NW?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.