Warning for Tramadol users

Posted , 4 users are following.

I know this appears to be in the "in thing" for pain relief but it is in fact a narcotic. Althought it does work as a very good painkiller the side effects of coming off of them are awful. Please, please, come off them gradually. I didn't know how strong they were til I stopped (I had no advise from the A&E department on this drug) and my body went into spasm and I had to call out a doctor who gave me valium just to calm my body down and it took nearly a week to fully recover.

Just a friendly warning to all those taking this. As I said, it appears to be the "in thing" at the moment.

Take care,

Zoe x

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Zoe, 

i was on tramadol for 18months 400mgs pre day. Took me a week to wean of once I talked to my very helpful GP, who devised a weaning programme for me me. I'm now weaning off the buprenorphine patches. It's a slow process but it's possible. Everybody reacts differently to withdrawal and should always speak to their GP to get help. Although I appreciate some GPs are less understanding than mine but you really do need help it can be an awful experience but handled carefully it's not so bad. 

Hope you're ok now 

Be well 

Steph x

• Posted

Thanks so much for your insight.  I started my wean last week and doing well so far so good.  

Thanks so muchT 

• Posted

I've been on Tramadol for nearly 2 years taking it as and when necessary, two 50mg caps. It's brilliant for nerve pain and when taken with amitriptyline works even better.

I sometimes suffer from a restless sort of nerve problem, a bit like restless leg but in the top of my spine, ( the results of post herpetic neuralgia) and two tramadol capsules takes it down to a tollerable level very quickly.

No pain, no tramadol equals no problem, no withdraw symptoms.

The question is.....is a withdrawal problem better than the insufferable pain experienced without the drug or not, I think I'll take my chances and keep dropping the pills.

• Posted

Hi all, 

I've been off the trams for 2 weeks now and it was really easy for me this time. I saw my GP , who was very supportive, we worked out a weaning regime and it's been good. 

I was on 200mgs twice a day( slow release ) and 10mcg buprenorphine patches. Here put me on 50mg trams 1-2 four times a day and keep the patch. I gradually reduced the trams. First I stopped the day time slow release and took only the night time one for two nights then I took the night slow release alternate nights for two nights then I stopped all trams. The plan was to take a 50mg tab if I needed but I didn't. I did take a couple of paracetamol fo the flu like aches and shivers once but that's all. Four days it took and I was off the trams completely. I took the straight back to the pharmacy for disposal. Next challenge, to wean off the Buprenorphine patches. So last week I was on 5mcg patches and when that one ran out on Tuesday I started cocodamol 1-2 tabs 2-4hrly as necessary. Was a bit grumpy on Wednesday and I do have some wound pain still to cope with so I'm taking the cocodamol 2tabs 4hrly at the moment. I am only 4 1/2 weeks post total hip replacement after all. I fully intend to wean those very soon by taking 1 tab 4hrly and eventually taking only paracetamol and or brufen for pain. I've found weaning like this has been quite easy and not as scary as I had expected given my first withdrawal experience. 

Good luck to all you fellow strugglers out there. There is light at the end of the tunnel, I can see it and you will too when you find a program that works for you. 

Be well 

Steph ☺️

• Posted

Keep up the good work.  I am down to 100mg every 12 hours.  I am keeping the faith that with in the next 2 weeks I will be completly off tramadol.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel

Take Care 

T

• Posted

I have just been to pick up my prescription and I had to sign the register because Tramadol is now a controlled drug.  Since when?

I've been taking it for a couple of years and never understood why it was not controlled.

Anyway, I only take it as and when needed and don't feel the need to come off it yet as at the times I don't take it the only effects I suffer is the pain it's taken to eliminate.

• Posted

For years Tramadol was never consider a controlled subtance.  Until a few years back when patients started having side effects when they stop taking this medication.  Tramadol use to be called Ultram I think when they change the name they change something esle. Many patients would ask for tramadol because it was known not to have narcotics in this medication.  That was one of my main reason for taking tramadol. I started taking this medication in Oct 2013 due to a shoulder injury and having be taking it on and off. Unfortunately things got worse and I had to increase the dosage. Now I am in the process of weaning myself off.  I notice the more I drink green smoothies and drink green tea it has help to rid the medication and I have found that I am deceasing my intake I am now taking 100mgs every 12 hours instead of every 6 hours.

Take Care 

T

• Posted

Nice tipTrina. I'll try the tea and smoothies. I take mega doses of multivits and minerals plus a super high dose B6 and I eat around 3 bananas a day. But I reckon you green smoothies have the same nutrient values. Well done with your weaning. I also find getting some exercise helps too 

Be well 

Steph 

• Posted

Stephanie

Excerising is great.  I found that the smoothies aborb quicker in the body.  The vitaimins were making me sick but I continue to take B complex vitaims.  Keep up the good work also you can do it.

Take Care

T

• Posted

Trina. Funny you should say that. I always feel a bit nauseous after the multi vits too. I'll give the smoothies a try instead. 

I'm day 3 without patches. It hadn't been easy but I'm doing ok. Had to use brufen for pain but stayed off extra cocodamol. I really think I can do it this time 😀👍

Be well 

Steph x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.