Warning If You Have Sleep Apnea

Posted , 12 users are following.

Yes me again ,

I know you are probably sick of my constant posts and complaints .

I have had a lot of hassle in my home town because I refused to let a Surgeon do my operation in Glasgow Royal Jubilee Hospital because and I quote him " You will get Tramadol after your operation like it or not thats what we give you"

Now I have sleep apnea and did my research before going to see the consultant and after what he said I decided on the side of caution.

I have since seen a Consultant in Woodend Hospital Aberdeen who said NO WAY should I be given tramadol with sleep apnaea ( My choice not tho go to Glasgow was right PHEW)

Anyway found this post on opiates Tramadol , Morphine dihydrocodine ( I think are all in the same catagory)

Opiates are well known for depressing the respiratory system during sleep, when it relies on involuntary brain signaling to function. When the signals from the brain to the diaphragm are depressed by opioid medications, they lose strength, leading to reduced tone in the muscles that should be working together to support breathing.

Yes I may be a nuisance but maybe just maybe this will help or save someone out there

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

very interesting, thank you . we have a problem here is Spain with NOLOTIL the spanish docs prescribe it but its VERY dangerous for us northern europeans. it has caused several deaths

• Posted

Billy, you are assuming you will have pain after the hip op, that is not a given. I think I said before I did not have any pain after my hip op last year, do not go into the op imagining the worst.

• Posted

jen86183 yes I do remember you saying this but the Consultant in Glasgow told me I was getting whether I like it or not and don't want anybody to be in that position, At the rate things are going here I doubt I will ever get an op

• Posted

Billy,

We can all refuse anything, treatment, drugs etc., You will have had your op anyway, you only deal with nurses afterwards. My surgeon only appeared about teatime after op, asked me to wiggle me toes and I never saw him again until this year when he took the clinic on my year appointment, must admit it shocked me he turned up for that. I refused to take oxycontin home with me, the nurse could not understand me refusing.

I really think you are worrying about nothing, do not put problems where there are none. Wait until you have had your hip op, then deal with things then.

• Posted

Not sure what to do now , there is now way I can put up with this disabling condition for another 7 months, I am going to see the doctor on Monday. Did anyone here get a letter about "No Delay" to do with their operation if so is that a good thing ?

• Posted

Billy, seven months is nothing, time goes so quickly, we have already had the longest day, soon be autumn. From my fall which caused the arthritis to my hip op was 8.5 years, the last year was very painful, but we manage, as I said time goes quickly.

• Posted

I only had co-codamol for first 2 wks then paracetamol x

• Posted

I am glad you have got a more knowledgable surgeon in Aberdeen. Have they given you any sort of date yet?

• Posted

oh yes the consultant said approx 3 months (12 weeks) but apparently the waiting list is 7 Months (30 weeks)

• Posted

Well done you beat the waiting list, you are getting closer!

• Posted

I have not beat the list really it will be November at least before I get done , if I make it that long

• Posted

Keep your pecker up and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

stay positive Billy, realise that's not easy, but it's the best choice, honestly

I also reiterate a comment above to thing positively. I was in pain for years before I was finally offered my THR. People asked if I was nervous before surgery. I said "no, excited" I couldn't wait to be rid of the debilitating pain. It ruined my marriage and my life in general. Yes you are in pain after the op, but a different kind. You've just had an op! The pain from the hip has vanished. You are given painkillers to begin with but say the market after all. Also I was sent home (48 hours post op) with loads of drugs, but only took what I wanted to, when I wanted to. No problem there. I quickly progressed but then had a set back as the dissolvable long suture didn't and became infected so had to have another op and single sutures which had to be removed. However op mid March and now feeling good. Driving and pilates. Only use a stick when walking a distance as get back ache and knee ache without one. The consultant says that's because my hip was so bad and I'd suffered for so long my muscles are very weak.

I would say, don't give in, keep ringing at regular intervals saying you're available for short notice surgery and saying how much pain your're in and hopefully there will be a cancellation at some point when they'll slot you in.

Sorry for the long reply, but I hope it helps

• Posted

I am going to be brutally honest here and most people wont like it so sorry , but I will end it all before I wait until the 7 months are up . I am not going to be a prisoner of the NHS

• Posted

I have sleep apnea and was tested and found out I hold my breath 60 times an hour. I also had a total right hip replacement, was given tramadol after and before surgery, morphine during surgery. I am here to let you know even though I react horribly to opiates , I would never not do it because of sleep apnea.

• Posted

There are other painkillers they can give you that are not opiates for example Nefopam. I had my sleep apnea well under control, readings down to 0.2. once I started opiates it started climbing once I saw it at 19 AHI for me it was time to stop them.

only my opinion and dont want to offend anyone but sleep apnea is not a thing to take chances with due to the increased risk of Strokes and hear attacks if not properly controlled

• Posted

After my hip op I found I only needed paracetamol, so you may be the same, you never know.

• Posted

new to this board. I got prescribed some Tramadol but it's up to me whether I take it . THR ok was 6 days ago. haven't needed it so using paracetamol only.

• Posted

In fact I don't think I needed the paracetamol either! Still have a full box of Tramadol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.