Warning! Manuka Honey...

Posted , 7 users are following.

Manuka Honey is an excellent treatment for blepharitis, but be careful! If not diluted the higher concentrated form can burn! Please dilute a small amount with purified water before you apply with a q-tip.smile. Dena

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Edited

It really depends what causes the blepharitis.

Honey sounds a bit sticky and messy on the pillow.

When I felt a painful bite from inside my eyelid last June I went on the internet, not for the first time I must say, and searched "blephartis + cause" and 3 pages down I found "demodex".  Then I searched again using "blepharitis + demodex" and found a lot of useful info.

Most useful was a 1967 paper by Tulles Coston called Demodex Follicularum Blepharitis easily found and downloaded as a pdf. 

As useful another Optometrist in Edinburgh called David Crystal describes just how the golden crusts gluing my eyelids together in the mornings happen overnight - rather gruesome reading, but worthwhile.

Once you know your enemy you can treat it appropriately  - and neither children's shampoo nor honey are, just my view, appropriate.

Hope this helps.

• Edited

Well....I don't have any honey on my pillow, and if I weren't getting such excellent results I might be tempted to agree with you. Thanks for your comment. smile

• Posted

You are partially correct in my experience.

My demodex had been ongoing for 2 years. I was mis-diagnosed by my optometrist and the ophthalmologist I went to. I got the standard 'dry eye' diagnosis.

After a serious second eye infection of green pus from one of my eyes, I was FURIOUS to find that demodex was most likely the culprit of my misery and the antibiotics prescribed for my infections were doing nothing. The condition kept coming back.

I researched and found out demodex is a PARASITE.

2 rounds of Ivermectin and diluted manuka honey as a lid liner got it under control.

• Posted

I also wash my face and eyelids morning and night with manuka honey. Sometimes I let it rest on my face before rinsing. Then I apply my diluted manuka eyeliner.

During allergy season, the eyeliner helps to keep the pollen off my lids. I add an extra eyewash mid day for lid comfort.

• Posted

Please accept my apologies.  I'm new to this and will see if I can delete my replies.

• Posted

Delphinium, please don't feel that way. Your comment was appreciated. That's what makes this forum so productive. We compare all the experiences, and then decide how to handle our own situation. There have been many Manuka Honey success stories here, so I decided to try it for myself. You are wise, in that you don't just accept anything you hear. I used the Manuka Honey 16+ and diluted it with purified water. This makes it very thin when I apply it only over the bottom of my upper lash line, and all around my waterline, ( all around the eye lid). I don't even know it's there. My Blepharitis is well under control. I'm SO happy! 😁

• Posted

Ah, now I understand you dilute the Manuka Honey!  Which purified water do you use and what ratio of honey to water?
    • Posted

Well, you can use any purified water. Even boiled water is ok. Just NEVER tap water. Of course always use the water at room temperature, before you add the honey. It makes it more difficult to mix the honey, but you just stir till it's mixed. Add enough to make the mixture dark looking. Keep everything sterile. I use a tiny jar that I sterilized to put my mixture in. Then I use a clean q-tip for each eye. NO double dipping, I never put a used q-tip into my mixture or used spoon into my honey. Everything needs to stay sterile. All around the eye I apply the mixture with my clean q-tip. It burns some, makes my eyes tear, but I just gently dab at them with a tissue. When I first wake in the morning I wash my face and eyes, (with my eyes closed), with a drop of Tea Tree Oil, and a small dab of no tears baby shampoo, mixed in my hand. Then I rinse my face and eyes under the faucet to make sure it's all gone. Afterwards, I use a gentle moisturizer for my face which is Cetaphil. It feels nice, but I don't get it on my eyes. Then...., I apply the honey mixture to my eyes. I hope this helps. 😁🤣😄

• Posted

Delphinium, just use any purified water, or cooled boiled water, never tap. Keep everything sterile, mix honey and water till medium dark. Refer back to all my post. 🤗 Dena

• Posted

Dena what is the 16+ for the Manuka Honey? I looked and there was various numbers with various codes. UFM, MGO etc.
  • Posted

Dena , 

thank you for the warning. I have starter to wear MASCARA !!!. Thanks to  Lotemax prescription ointment and...

Every every absolutely every morning warm compress with sterile gause followed by Ocusoft and LOTEMAX.

NO PROBLEM now!!!.If I feel the devil is approaching I apply Lotemax inside the eyelids one more time. 

Also I use eyeshadow by ALMAY instead of eyeliner. HOWEVER both of my mascara and eyeliner don't live long.

I use disposables like you said DENA, But I think they are oxidize by light and air.  Just discard them and buy new.

Good luck to all.

• Posted

Demodex lives on the face as well. Around the eyes so replacing make up brushes and face blush powders applied with brushes is important, as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.