Warning to anyone thinking of having a gastric band fitted

Posted , 7 users are following.

I spent last year plucking up the courage to have a gastric band fitted. At 65 not something you do without a lot of thought. No NHS funding was available and I was left to sort it out for myself by my GP. I just wanted to warn people not to book to go to The Hospital group at their place near Birmingham. It was the worse experience of my life and much worse than any NHS hospital I have ever been in. It certainly didn't live up to the hype and now I have made a formal complaint they just fob me off.They won't deal with the issues or return any of the £5,000 I paid. So now I am an awful lot poorer, no gastric band, just an aborted operation and I am left to try an deal with the emotional distress caused by it all whilst at the same time still trying really hard to lose-some weight on my own.I would hate to think of anyone else going through what I have had to suffer because I made the wrong choice.. I have kept quiet about this until now as I felt as though somehow it was all my fault, but I have now been convinced that it was their lack of medical professionalism that caused the problems, nothing that I did, so think very carefully before you sign up to have anything done at The Hospital Group

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hey there I am so glad I saw this I hope you dont mind me asking who did you see as I was due to have a consultation with this group.

Many thanks

• Posted

Don't mind at all.  If it can save just one person from going through what happened to me.  I saw mr Richardson - he is supposed to be the big cheese!  Three months on I have still not had any response to my complaint, no apology and certainly no refund.  Good luck but perhaps think of going elsewhere and with a different surgeon.

• Posted

I just read this surgery is too effectve for weight loose.
  • Posted

Hi

really sorry to hear your story I am booked in there soon could you please explain a little more of your concerns thanks

• Posted

I had my band done 3 years ago with the Hospital Group and went to their Birmingham hospital also operated on by Mr Richardson. I seem to have had the total opposite expierience to you. From the 1st consultation with Mr Richardson, to the op and after care was amazing. Mr Richardson, is very approachable, informative and also shared the pro's and con's of my choice, told me to think long and hard before committing etc etc.

The Hospital Group in Birmingham was an amazing hospital, I struggle to see how you can even compare it to a NHS, far from, it smells and looks like a private from the time you walk in.

I was contacted weekly by Hospital Group and then as time went on, it went to bi-weekly to every 2nd month in my 2nd year of aftercare.

Sorry to hear your experience was not good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.