Was doing great after RTKA, but today.. hoo boy!

Posted , 4 users are following.

So, I'm 11 weeks post RTKA. It has been amazing, truly! I have RA so a lot of my joints are pretty trashed, but my right leg is already my good leg! I'm at 0°-130° and my therapists discharged me four weeks ago. Everything has just been awesome.

Until last night, when I was putting clean sheets on the bed. My husband has a bit of a clutter problem on his side, so places to step are few; I tripped over his laptop cord and had to step hard at some weird angles to keep from falling. It was a little sore last night, along with my left ankle (which doesn't have any cartilage left) but I figured it would be okay this morning.

Nope! It's a solid 6.5-7 on the pain scale with any weight bearing and it refuses to go straight. The pain is focused on the inner back of my knee. This is a new place for it to hurt. I'm forced to use a crutch today (and I hate that!) It's also noticeably more swollen than the other knee.

Has anybody else had a similar problem? I was planning to can dill pickles today, but, well, I think it's a couch day. I can't take nsaids but I did take 5 mg of oxy and 1000 mg acetaminophen, and I'm firing up the ice machine. Hopefully somebody can tell me they also had this happen, and it'll be fine in a day or two!!

Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is having a great day!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I would contact your doctor. the fact that its not straight ...you need a professional opinion.

• Posted

Oh, it just won't straighten all the way. If it's still like this tomorrow, I'll be calling my surgeon for sure

• Posted

I slipped in the stairs about fourteen Weeks after me tkr i cried with the pain I totally bent the knee all the way back. I did think I may of damaged my new knee I phone the hospital and was told to come in and they would xray and check I did just that and all was fine no damage. I am now 16 month on and doing well but it did hurt for quite a while and it knocked me back, like you I was doing really well and then after the fall i felt like I was back at the beginning I do hope you are feeling better it is alot stronger than you think and can take knocks and bumps you will get there takes time. Good luck.

• Posted

Well, I went to see my doc and it turns out I sprained the ligaments along the inner side. 🙁 Not great news, but it will heal. Thank you for your replies! And good luck to you all!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.