was forced to go cold turkey from 325mg of effexor

Posted , 6 users are following.

Today is my 5 day off of meds .my new insurance refuses to help with it. I already am experiencing flu like and starting to feel anxtious.i worried about what is going to happen next .i been on this for over a year. What i have read so far is scaring me more and more. I would appreciate any advice u can give even if u went through it and can give an idea what to expect.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I can really sympathise as I went through the same horrors recently.

Try taking Diphenhydramine HCl (Nytol or Boots Sleepeze in the UK, Benadryl in the U.S.). Worked for me.

Stick with it. You will get there.

• Posted

Oh my lord. That's a huge dose just to quit. I feel for you. I'm from the UK. Are you from America? With you mentioning insurance.

I can only sympathise deeply. I once didn't have my Effexor for 4 days and I truly felt awful to say the least. I'd ran out of my medicine and it was the weekend.

I had flu symptoms like yourself. Shakes and hot/cold sweats. I generally felt that I couldn't control my body. Muzzy head with headaches. Nauseous and being sick. Feeling like the world was going on and I wasn't part of it. Felt I was in a daze and could not concentrate even on the simplest task.

I cannot express how sorry I feel for you! Once I resumed my medication all symptoms went within a day.

All what your experiencing will eventually pass, however I'm sorry this seems to be your only option. Withdrawal as you probably know requires slow reduction.

Best of luck. Please keep me informed 😊

• Posted

I came off Effexor cold turkey once and felt awful for about three weeks, but was Ok after that.  Depression returned and I went back on it.  Lasdt time I took 10 months to withdraw and did not get any withdrawals.

You will feel poorly for a few weeks, maybe more, maybe less.  Depends on the individual.  I found the "brain zaps" were the worse thing.  Just rest if you can until the withdrawls subside. 

Don't worry about what will happen next, just give the medication time to leave your body.  You will be fine after that.  May take some time, that is all, but you will know it is just your body getting back to normal. 

It is 18 months now since I stopped, and I am doing OK.  I am sorry you are having to do it the fast way, but people do, and you will feel fine I am sure. 

I hope you are able to stay at home and cope with this. 

Take care and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

There are short term meds like benzodiazepines, anti nauseants and hydroxyzine which can help with the symptoms related to venlafaxine withdrawal.
    • Posted

I would not under any circumstances suggest the use of benzodiapines. Even if you can get them prescribed (in the UK) they are highly addictive and far worse to withdraw from than venlafaxine, alcohol or heroine. Trust me, I know!!!

Stick to Nytol or Benadryl.

• Posted

You should not be going cold turkey from that dose. This is very dangerous. I would advise you to see if you can get some help of some kind to pay for the meds.  The dose you are on requires careful tapering over a number of weeks. 
  • Posted

Thank everybody finally i started effexor 275 .it has taking symptoms away. I feel like im hyper and way to charged its really nice for a change

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.